Friday, June 7, 2013

Promises Kept - 3rd/12th/13th IVF/Infertility/Grandmomma/Baby Showers

I combined all the above (IVF and Infertility and Grandmomma and Baby Showers) into one post since, well they are all about the same thing.

My daughter and her husband underwent IVF 9 months ago for infertility problems on both sides. 2 eggs were fertilized and implanted. One took. I went to daughter's 5th week ultrasound with her. I knew how to read ultrasounds but the doctor didn't know that. We knew one egg had implanted but were waiting for the heartbeat and pole to appear. So when the doctor had it centered on the screen I could not contain myself and yelled there she is. Of course daughter who couldn't see anything went what and the probe slid off her belly. The tech laughing said: "Oh your mother knows how to read these!" She turned the screen so my daughter could see it and yep there was not only a heartbeat but a pole.

It was a long few weeks and actually few months of extra boosts of hormones for her then harvesting her follicles only to find out she only had 5 good eggs. We went then to the obtaining the sperm and threw them in the petri dish to go to it. While all 5 eggs fertilized with the sperm, only 2 grew to the blastozote stage so those 2 were implanted. We were on pins and needles for those weeks waiting to see if the IVF was successful and if they would have how many babies or none at all. I know what I went through and can only imagine doing it yourself and what one goes through mentally and physically.

So it became official after the 3 months had passed that I was going to be a grandmomma and it was only one baby. Around 6 months we found out it was going to be a girl so I started off the baby shower rounds with my shower the end of March. Daughter had 3 more showers. That girl has so many clothes. Hope she gets to wear them all.

I am all ready with a pack n play, swing, car seat base, and know I will know when she goes into labor since she will call me to let me know to pick up the dogs which we are watching until they are all back home and have had a few days to get settled before introducing the dogs to the mix.

So here are a few pictures of the nursery (daughter did a fantastic job on it):


No comments: