Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Wedding Gifts - Required?


This past year two of my nieces and one nephew got married. One was in Boston in January and the other about 3 hours south of us. Nephew's wedding actually happened 2 years ago but we were not informed of said wedding until a notice was sent that a card wedding reception was planned for their 2nd anniversary. The one the end of May required a 3 hour drive and a hotel room.

So let's start with the 1st one of the year: niece's wedding and a cake reception in Boston, You might ask why because my niece is from IL but it was in Boston because the groom was from there and he is a very opinionated alpha male who demanded everything be around his family. The Boston one would have required not only a flight but a hotel room and a car in January or the depths of winter. There was absolutely no way I was going to attend and try to get there between weather systems and try to be back home for patients. Besides I could not afford it. For their present, I hand crocheted a 'snuggle blanket' then cross stitched a heart in the corner with their names and the date and shipped it to them. I used white yarn since it was a wedding snuggle blanket. A snuggle blanket is used to snuggle together on the couch while watching TV or while reading. I revised the pattern to accommodate the husband's 6'2" height and the girth of both together. I spent over $100.00 on yarn and it took me 4 months to crochet. It is in the picture above (it is folded into quarters). I got no thank you. I do know they received it because I saw it in pictures of their new apartment.

The second wedding: this one was for one of my nephews. He actually got married 2 years ago and while the kids' social media sites stated they were married, my sister emphatically denied they were and basically told members of the family to butt out of their business. So we all did. Out of the blue, we received an email from my sister who stated that she was planning a 'card wedding reception' for their 2nd anniversary. Actual presents were discouraged and gift cards or cash would be appreciated. I sent a card with a gift certificate to a store I know they had in the town they lived. I got no thank you. My sister even had the gall to chastise my for not sending them anything. Nephew and wife are now getting divorced. I think the soon to be ex-wife took the gift card and didn't tell anyone.

The third wedding: this again was for another niece. This niece is over 30 years old and works as a NICU nurse. She has a child from a previous encounter (never married). She planned a wedding and reception 3 hours south of us. We would have to get a hotel room. BUT only certain people were invited to the wedding. Out of 6 of her aunts and one uncle, all but 2 aunts were invited. Interesting that although I helped raise this niece while my sister went through not one but two divorces, I was not invited. I was specifically told not to crochet her a blanket because she didn't want one. Instead she expected money. Yes I was told that. I was unable to attend her shower - we had a previous engagement to attend - actually my sister emailed all of us asking what weekend worked for us. Although there were quite a few weekends that coordinated with all of us, a weekend I specifically stated I could not attend was of course the date that was picked. No, I did not send a gift. I didn't for the other 2 and I wasn't about to for this one. So family pictures were taken after the service and of course my one sister and I were not in the pictures because we were not invited. So we get to the reception - in a bar - no food served - and my daughter learns that the babysitter that was supposed to be hired to watch my granddaughter was not ever done. The music was deafening. I don't drink. Grandchild was hungry and tired and so was I. Niece wouldn't even acknowledge me so I left with grandchild. We ate and I put her to bed. My present? A $100 check that was cashed. No thank you again.

So 3 times this year I have given wedding presents to relatives and 3 times not even a thank you sent. My son's best friend who is like a son to me and got married this summer too? He and his wife got a shower gift and a hefty wedding gift and I received a thank you from them for both plus an invitation to dinner.

Selfish nieces and nephew - I wish I had never given them anything. I took money from paying bills just to give them what I did.

And people wonder why I have a problem with blood relatives!


No comments: