Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Recipe Tuesday - Pecan Pie Bars


My family lurves a good pecan pie. Me - not so much - give me a coconut banana cream pie anyday. For Thanksgiving I make the actual pie but for Christmas I make Pecan Pie Bars along with a zillion other cookies which I cut down on this year - only making a few. This is one of the best bar cookies that tastes just like a pecan pie according to my kids and husband. I refuse to eat it so can't vouch for it.

Pecan Pie Bars
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter - do not substitute with margarine
2 eggs
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 chopped pecans
2 tablespoons butter melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix the flour and the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar; cut in the butter. Pat into an ungreased 11 x 7 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Beat eggs slightly; stir in remaining ingredients. Pour over baked layer. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool until pecan layer is slightly firm before cutting into bars. Makes 32. (Hint: I use a plastic knife to cut the bars).

Oh and course since it is a seasonal bar, it doesn't have one calorie in it at all - for me :)