Saturday, November 13, 2010

Another Ankle Surgery


Yep, another ankle surgery is being planned as soon as possible. My last one was in May and I knew there was still too much instability. It was confirmed yesterday during an arthrogram. The 3 ligaments that stabilize the upper ankle joint are not holding it together. So this time I will get a cadaver tendon. I am trying to plan it so I am off work as little as possible even if it means putting a kibosh on Thanksgiving. Plus this time even though I will be in a cast, I won't be non-weight bearing and on the scooter but for one week.

The 3 ligaments that are still not working right no matter what we have used or done are the calcaneofibular ligament (CFL), the anterior talofibular ligament (ATFL), and the posterior talofibular ligament (PTFL). Guess the multiple ankle sprains over the years have destroyed the functionalability of those tendons and the rest of the tendons in my ankle are working overtime to try and hold my ankle up despite the orthotic adjustments and the braces I wear.

But the knee has totally healed AND the subtalar joint that was repaired in May with Artelon to plug the leaks worked.

Hopefully this is the last surgery :)

No comments: