Thursday, June 2, 2011

Need Time Out Chairs


I had something happen today I just had to share. Hubs is a podiatrist and when statements go out to patients, we get all sorts of calls. Today was not exception.........EXCEPT these were definitely full moon type calls. Those type of calls from angry irate patients. I am considering getting a "time out chair" for our office.

Caller #1: Why are you sending me a bill?
Me: Because your insurance companies have paid their portion and left you this balance of which they state is yours.
Caller #1: So I have to pay it?
Me: Yes you do. It is your portion of the bill. I can take care of that for you if you give me your credit card number.
Caller #1: I really really really have to pay this?
Me: Yes you really really really have to.
Caller #1: Well, I will think about it.
Me: Well, I would just like to remind you of the financial policy you signed the first day you saw us: if you do not pay a bill within 30 days, a $25.00 rebilling fee will apply. So please think before the 30 days are up.
Caller #1: OMG no wonder why doctors live in fancy houses.
Me: Mrs X, you owe me $9.01 and I can assure you that $9.01 along with the $24.79 that your insurance company paid for your visit does not purchase a fancy house.
Caller #1: Well, I will think about it.
**click** - she hung up on me.

Caller #2 through 20 - same idea with different wording.

Caller #21: Screaming into phone: Are you there?
Me: If you are asking if I am at the office, then yes I am here.
**click** - she hung up on me.

Only to appear 15 minutes later charging into the office like an angry bull............
Patient: What is this crap?
Me: Well, Mrs Y, I think that is a statement from us that has been crumpled and wrinkled up.
Patient: I know damn well what it is. Why?
Me: Well, usually one gets a statement after we receive payment from your insurance company and there is a balance left. We then send you a statement letting you know what the insurance company states is your portion of the bill.
Patient: Well, I never.
Me: I don't quite know how to respond to that. Do you want a full explanation of your bill? Is there some part you don't understand?
Patient: Why did you charge me a new patient office visit and not my husband?
Me: Well, let's look at your bill first. You became a patient of our practice on such and such date. You were billed a new patient visit. Medicare put that whole amount to your annual $162.00 deductible. Your 2nd insurance has an annual $800.00 deductible so they didn't pay anything either. So you owe us the full amount of all the services that Medicare set their prices at.
Patient: I know there is a deductible for Medicare. Are you calling me stupid?
Me: No Mrs Y I am not. I am explaining your bill for you.
Patient: I also know there is a deductible for my husband's insurance. So let them pay.
Me: Mrs Y, they won't. They have a $800.00 deductible so they put all your charges towards that deductible, stating you owe us the balance.
Patient: I am reporting you for fraud.
Me: Good, do you want Medicare's number? I am sure Medicare will agree that you have to pay the first $162.00 per year, and then they will pay 80% of the bill and you will owe 20% of the bill. Your 2nd insurance happens to have a higher deductible than Medicare so it will not cover that Medicare deductible or the 20% until you have paid $800.00 and then they will pay 100%.
Patient: Why wasn't my husband charged a new patient visit that day?
Me: Your husband was charged a new patient visit when he first visited us last October. When he saw us in March, that was his 2nd visit so of course we didn't charge him a new patient visit.
Patient: with voice raising......the first time either my husband or I were here was in March. This is fraud. You people are full of fraud.
Me: speaking really soft to get her to calm down: Well, Mrs Y, I have your husband's chart right here. Since he is unable to write his name, you signed for him. The date you signed that form is October X, 2010. Now I see your chart, and the first time you visited us was in March, 2011 and here are your signatures. You are the one who put the dates on the forms. Here is the financial policy where you agreed to pay the balance. Now will that be check, cash or charge?
Patient after a good 2 long minutes: picks up her purse and storms around the patient window and into the office where I am sitting and gets right next to me, slams her purse down and yells at me - well you are still full of fraud. (I said nothing but wondered if she would get angrier if I gave her a breath mint) She proceeded to write her check out leaving the name of the practice off. She threw the check into my face and hissed: fill in the check with the name of the office missy and it better not be your name........
Me: Thank you Mrs Y. I am filling in the name of the practice. You can compare what I am writing on your check from what is on this business card (handing her a business card).
Patient: I am keeping this card. I am still reporting you.
Me: Thank you. You have a great day.
she stood there glaring at me......
Me: Would you like the fraud number to Medicare?
She stormed out of the office, making sure to really really really slam the door.

The rest of the office: clapped and congratulated me on not punching her out. I marked on her chart that this patient or her husband are never to be booked with us again.

**sigh** I hate patient statement weeks and at the end of the day.....I don't know who actually needs the "time out chair" more - the patient or me.

No comments: