Sunday, November 20, 2011

Inspirational Sunday - Family and Holidays


When I was young, I used to love holidays. I loved the excitement. I loved decorating. I loved buying people what they wanted and even finding things they didn't put on their 'list' but I knew they would love.

Problem is, I grew up. Now working 6 days a week with a right ankle that hurts and a left knee that doesn't like any weight on it, combined with family that I really don't even want to see anymore, holidays have become cumbersome and a burden.

Today I made my grocery list. After 33 years, all of a sudden my sisters have decided to have Thanksgiving at my dad's. Was I copied on the email discussing this? Nope. All of a sudden I receive an email with the final facts and who is bringing what. Did anyone remember I have a wheat allergy and eat gluten-free? Nope. There is nothing on the list I can eat. My father calls me today and asks me how many he is to expect at his house. I stated I don't know. I didn't plan it. He said well the place where he was to get the pulled pork has been closed. The guy who owns it has been in ill health and he thinks it is now closed. He wanted to know if I thought it was okay to change where he got the pulled pork and to remind him how many were coming. I said I didn't know but would call one sister who was doing the organizing. So I did. I got yelled at for interfering. I said fine and handle it and hung up.

So I get a phone call back from my father. I told him to call my one sister and she had stated that you and her had talked last night and according to her, discussed everything and therefore for me to butt out. So I am butting out. Call her.

Why does this happen? Why are there people who ruin the holiday for others? But better yet, why am I allowing them to upset my plans and me?

Just last week I said to see the positive in the negative. I know this is a test. I just don't know the answer yet. All I want to do is do what I had planned and not even go to my dad's. I don't need this aggravation.

Is this what holidays become after one grows older? Why do all I see is more work?

So I will leave this post and find my positive. Wish I could make the turkey and do what Maxine suggests and stuff it with Prozac!

No comments: