Sunday, October 18, 2015

Inspirational Sunday - Cubs vs Luck vs God


My husband and I were talking last night about the chances the Cubs had to win last night's game. My husband said they won't win because of the name Murphy and went on to spout instance after instance where the Cubs lost against the Mets whenever someone named Murphy was playing for the Mets or even that a black cat walked across the field and it was named Murphy. Of course there is also some goat. But I was totally flabbergasted that he firmly believed that these instances were why the Cubs lost.

I obviously don't believe in luck. I believe in God. All the things my husband was talking about: superstitions. That is all. An answer to why they didn't win or why something happened or why someone has to wear a particular item of clothing or sit in the same seat or do anything for the same 'luck' to happen: pure coincidence. If it really worked, there would be scientific evidence that every time those things happened or didn't, it was more than superstition. But no - it is not used as an excuse that a better team played.

No comments: