Monday, September 29, 2008

Back to work


It's funny the perceptions of others. In this case, it's the patients. We were gone a week - hubs at a surgical symposium downtown Chicago for 3 days and then he and I went to our state meeting for 4 days. I don't happen to call them off work at all. If there was a vacation second in there please try and find it for me cuz I know I missed it.

But the patient's perceptions today: How was your week off? Did you go on a cruise? Did you catch up on your sleep?

Maybe it's just us and the fact that we seldom (make that rarely) take time off. It just isn't in our nature and besides, unlike our patients, we just can't afford it. You see, for a small business owner especially a doctor to take off, you not only pay for the vacation somewhere, but you pay for others to take emergency call for you, AND you lose money by not working yet the bills don't take a vacation. Malpractice insurance doesn't take a vacation. So it has to be pretty special for us to take off - it quadruples the price of the trip.

The lecture went well. I had the entire room filled with people coming in left and right standing. They finally just opened the doors and were standing in the hallway. Everyone kept busting out laughing. Guess I entertained them. But all I did was give them a glimpse into what it means working for your spouse and a glimpse into my life. So either I was funny or I just showed how crazy I am.

No comments: