Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Definition: taking off work/Fabio

Well, if it were you, you would be sipping exotic drinks on a beach with no cell phone and no way for work to interfere with you.

Now since it is me.....we all know that is just never going to happen.

I had 3 days off. Here's what happens when I take off:

Day 1: I get up at 6am to take hubs to train. Sunday I had gotten out a suitcase for him but told him he had to pack it. Did he do this Sunday? Nope. He runs around like a chicken with his head cut off Monday am, ironing pants and shirts for the next 2 days. Now why you ask would he do this when he only is staying overnight? Not a clue. He's a man. I never attempt to understand them. Plus - why take the time to iron them when they are going to be stuffed into a suitcase which is going to remain packed all day. Ya will just have to re-iron them. Now if a woman had packed an freshly ironed shirt, we would have stuffed paper into it and folded it neatly or just taken an overhanging bag so it wouldn't get mussed. Ok you would do that - I would stuff it in the suitcase unironed and iron it at the hotel.

So we miss the train he is to take and instead we have to go to another station for an express train. He gets out of the car, forgetting the suitcase. I get out and holler for him to come back. He yells: "For what?" And blows me a kiss (probably thinking he forgot to kiss me). So I yell back: "Umm....want your suitcase?" He runs back. Do I get a kiss then? Nope.

So it's now 6:30am and I have the whole day to do with what I want, right? WRONG! I had left a message on the office answering machine that all 3 offices were closed for the entire week and if this was an emergency to call a special number, but otherwise leave a message and the office will return it next week. How many people do you think did that? How many people do you think asked to talk to someone immediately? How many pages did I get? Yeah. Could not even go back to sleep. Are we so trained anymore by message machines that we don't even listen to them?

So hubs stays there overnight. Calls me a couple of times. I am still waiting for my time after returning 64 phone calls and handling 28 'emergencies', when my daughter and the granddoggies walk in. I balance the checkbook and do payroll then cook dinner. Go to bed early with a book I have been meaning to read.

Day 2: 3am I hear this banging, scratching, and clawing on a door. As I struggle to wake up, I realize the sound is real. So I grab the baseball bat and head to investigate this strange noise. I don't go far when I find the noise coming from the spare bedroom - the cat was locked in. Actually locked in since 6am that morning. Now why do you ask she finally decided she wanted out of said bedroom at 3am? Why to piss me off because she knew it was my day off.

So I went back to sleep for another 3 hours then get up to take daughter for her test at the hospital (oh yeah - daughter decided that since I was off work and her husband was out of town, she would have me take her to the hospital for this test and then take care of her after anesthesia. That took most of the day).

I go pick up hubs from the train to take him to a meeting we had that evening. Do I get a kiss? Nope - because while looking for the noise, I ran into the door and had a fat lip. He thought it was a cold sore so wouldn't kiss me. He should know better - I am a klutz. By the way, I also made dinner for daughter and son and took care of her all day. Came home and went to bed to try and finish my book.

Day 3: So far: got hubs up at 5am to go to the learning lab for day 3 of his surgical symposium; answered 20 phone calls; finished laundry; did a couple of reports and finalized my seminar talk; and paid some bills. Dinner is simmering in the oven.

Sum total of what I have done on my days off: Lots of work stuff done, computer for the main office fixed, laundry, finished reading Jodi Picoult's Perfect Match which I highly recommend. I still need to go to the one office and pick up the sterilized instruments in order to see a couple of patients tonight. I also got to be a part of a tantric workshop with Romance Diva's. Anything else accomplished like trying to get the TiVo shows watched? Nope. Couldn't even sleep late one day.

But I did find an appropriate picture of Fabio who I am hoping is man enough to work this time: