Thursday, December 11, 2008

Musings



This is kinda how I have been feeling. Life has a way of whacking you aside the head a lot of times. So until you get a handle on everything and start coping with it all, you sit there wondering what the h happened and try to process it. Once that happens, you pick up the pieces and move on.

Yesterday my father-in-law had surgery to remove a parathyroid gland. He is 90 almost 91. He's already confused after his strokes but the anesthesia is making things worse. I am heading back to help MIL out since she isn't very healthy herself.

I brought a book to help pass the time. There were a few passages that just leaped out at me and I wanted to share them with you. The book is My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult and I rate it a 15 star - a must read book!

Here are a couple passages:
In any moment of time, one can be facing each other and be poles apart, yet we can flip like a magnet and instead of pushing each other away we suddenly seem to be on the same side. We are young and pulse-to-pulse for the first time; we are old and wondering how we walked this enormous distance in so short a period of time.

Life sometimes gets so bogged down in the details, you forget you are living it. There is always another appointment to be met, another bill to pay, another symptom presenting, another uneventful day to be notched onto the wooden wall. We have synchronized our watches, studied our calendars, existed in minutes, and completely forgotten to step back and see what we've accomplished.

No comments: