Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Recipe Tuesday - Carrot Cake


I was supposed to make this for my MIL's birthday on Sunday but didn't have the ingredients so instead my husband got her a store-bought cake which actually didn't taste that bad but it still wasn't homemade. Mine is definitely better. I tried to make this recipe 'lighter' in calories, etc but it just does not taste right. To me, if I make this 1-2 times a year for a birthday then one can splurge on their birthday of all days!

4 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups sugar
1 cups chopped pecans
4 cups grated carrots (I usually do the grating using either my salad shooter or in my food processor)
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon

Mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, and sugar. Add in 4 slightly beaten eggs and the vegetable oil. Fold in the pecans and carrots. Bake in either a greased and floured long 9x13 pan or 2 - 8inch greased and floured round or square pans at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Cool for 10 minutes then remove from pans. Completely cool cake before icing.

For the icing:
1/2 cup softened butter
8 oz softened cream cheese
1 box powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla

Beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add in the vanilla and powdered sugar.

I have also made this into cupcakes.