Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spiritual Sunday - Friendships


Hubs and I have been at a 15 state seminar since late Wednesday evening through this morning. I posted the first day but hubs had a dinner meeting that night so I had free time. Friday and Saturday were super busy days and basically all I wanted to do once I got back to the room was strip, wash my face, and climb my step stool to bed. Between seminars and functions we attended, I was exhausted every night and the foot definitely didn't like the activity levels either. This is why there has been no posts.

But at the seminar we were able to catch up with people we don't see but once a year at this seminar. We learned a dear friend had a heart attack in January with 2 stents put in but he did sustain damage to the heart. We learned a doctor my husband first worked for after residency had passed away after a long battle with cancer. We met new doctors fresh with ideas and thoughts and wondered if we were ever so naive and young. We met up with a dear friend who was diagnosed with Stage IV prostate cancer at the same time I was diagnosed with cancer (1998) and we went through treatments and the emotional outflow together. He is doing well and still living day to day and still takes nothing for granted.

This seminar is not just a seminar for learning for us - it is a social event that spans over years of friendship. Friendships that we are blessed to have that last a lifetime. We have quite a few of those types of friends where we live that are just as dear to us as those who live far away.

So today for Spiritual Sunday, I celebrate for not only turning another year older, but those friendships that last forever and sustain us and make us who we are. I am truly blessed for not only those friendships but for my husband - my only lifetime friend with benefits.