Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dirtiest Places - #11 - Shoes

This another post I accidently deleted.

Earlier I did a post on Top Dirtiest Things #4 which was about your feet/shoes. I talked in length about your feet and how to deoderize your shoes on the inside. BUT I never talked about the outside of your shoes and what they carry on them.

Good Morning America did a study recently in 2008 on "How Dirty Are Your Shoes?" It was pretty informative even for me. I used to babysit for this boy who just could not believe I wore shoes inside my house that I wore outside. I nicknamed him Felix as he was a clean fanatic even at age 4. Well, Father Brian, I apologize....only for wearing my shoes inside and not for anything else. Seems you were right on that ONE thing.

Good Morning America reported that recently researchers at the University of Arizona had found 9 different bacteria on your shoes. They also found that bacteria seem to live longer on our shoes than in any other place, yep even toilet seats or bathrooms. And better yet, over 90 percent of that bacteria on the bottom of your shoe DID transfer to your floors. Carpeted floors scored worse.

So guess what is going to happen at my house now? Yep the shoes will be left at the door along with a can of Lysol. For parties I will be bringing home a box of surgical booties for others to wear over their shoes.

The corker for me? Hearing my house will stay cleaner. I hate hate hate hate hate mopping floors.