Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Poked in the Face by My Bra


No, this is not a new sexual position. And it really truly happened. In fact, a simple google search elicited over 19,900 hits on the same exact subject. Here I thought I was the only one.

Last night at work I was leaning over to put something in the copier and all of a sudden, something sharp poked my face. I looked down and lo and behold, it's the underwire part of my bra halfway out of my bra and aimed straight for my eye. I have had them (the underwires) come out a bit every once in a while over the years but usually the bra is older and cheaper and it's usually at the armpit area - never in the middle. And never that much!

The bra I was wearing is only a year old and is only worn once a week. Plus I wash my bras and lingerie in cold water and drip dry them so there is no reason for the poking. And the most important: I can't wear cheap bras because they just don't come in my size. I have to go to high end stores or specialty stores and they are not blue light specials - nope my bras run me over $100.00+ apiece.

I have always worn an underwire bra - guess when I sprouted, I sprouted. But for those of you, an underwire bra is a brassiere with a wire built into the underside of the cup. This wire is intended to lift, separate, shape, and provide additional support for a woman's breasts. "An 1893 patent describes the predecessor to the underwire bra—a breast supporting device using a rigid plate under the breasts for stability. The modern underwire bra was designed in the 1930s, and had gained widespread popularity by the 1950s. As of 2005, underwire bras were the largest and fastest growing segment of the bra market. A bra without an underwire is a softcup bra."

Underwire bras are built with a semi-circular 'underwire', 'bra wire', or 'wire' embedded in the wire channel that circles the bottom and sides of each cup. One end, of the underwire is close to the front and center of the bra, and the other close to the armhole. The underwire can be made of metal or molded plastic but most are metallic. Plastic underwires have a very small share of the market because they do not provide the same support and rigidity offered by metal underwires. A metallic underwire is a thin strip of metal, usually with a nylon coating at both ends.

When they poke out though, they are possible to repair and you can get many more months of use after the repair is successfully made. Here are a few ways to repair the underwire so it doesn't poke you:
1. Begin by wrapping the wire tip with electrical tape or duct tape to prevent the wire from poking through after the repair. Once the metal tip is covered, push the wire back in through the open hole. With the tip at least one-half of an inch away from the hole, stitch the opening closed using heavy-duty thread. (This method never worked for me) as it would still pole through and it was hard to put the wire back in with the tape around it since the hole wasn't large enough so I would end up enlarging the hole. That underwire always seemed to have a mind of its own though and with a few weeks, I would find it repoking me.
2. You can buy one of the new "No Poke Wire® bras" which claim that they never ever poke and that is guaranteed. Too bad they don't come in larger sizes.
3. Don't throw that bra away just yet. I found a perfect solution that has worked every time for me: push the wire in as far as you can get it. Using a needle and thread (preferably in the same color as the bra), sew the hole closed. I follow it up with 8-10 stitches about a 1/4" below that area to reinforce it. I then take a bit of super glue and put it over the stitches I just put in (where the hole was). Give it a minute then mash the mended spot between your thumb and forefinger over the end of the wire. The spot should be rounded, not flat. Wait another minute or until the super glue is dry, then take a nail file and gently file the area until it feels smooth (so it doesn't scrape your skin).

A long time ago before I was properly sized (and you should be sized each and every year), everyone said that the reason underwires poked through was because the cup size was too small. Their theory was that the underwife was just not wide enough to totally wrap around the breast and the cup was not deep enough (the wire was resting on your breast too far forward on your torso resulting in the underwire tip getting in the way and hitting your underarm). A larger cup size would come with a wider underwire and deeper cup that will be more under your arm and not on your breast.

I found that not always to be true. I would buy the same brand and same size bra and one of them would be fine and the other not even with being sized every year. But for that 1 or 2 bras that I would have a problem with, I came up with a solution. Since the underwire is usually made from a flat sheet of metal and bent into a flat smiley face, I found that if I bent the underwire a bit in the direct center of that smiley face, the bra fit better and the metal didn't cut in. Just remember you don't want a huge bend - just a little one. I also find some bras underwires to either not lay flat in the middle and I will slightly bend that area to the inside or to me.

And no, that is not my bra or me posing in the picture. I only wish I was that size.....maybe when I was 10.

No comments: