Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Mish Mosh

This post is a wee bit of this and a wee bit of that....aka mish mosh.

Wedding update: we are in the process of trimming the 'A' guest list from the current count of 365 to a number where only 200 will show up. I suggested my name was the first to go and got the eyeroll. My current instructions are to be out of the cast and walking by May for the wedding. She is not allowing either my scooter or wheelchair to be a part of the ceremony.

Wedding prep: Yanno those things that we have planned to do on the house, etc:
Roof is picked out finally after multiple viewings and discussions. We decided on GAF's Timberline 40 Pewter Gray Blend Shadow Accent. Believe me, it was a whole lot of discussion. Why we picked a 40 year roof is beyond me as I can't imagine caring at the ripe age of 93 about putting a new roof on the house. New skylight will be in within 2 weeks so roof will go on then.
Landscaper came out today and gave us the new plan. We are removing 2 trees that were supposed to stay small yet became monsters, replanting some bushes and flowers and stuff I have no idea what their names are but managed to look like I knew what he was saying and cared. All I care about is the price and there isn't a lily being planted and it is maintenance free (aka I don't have to do it) and looks good. Must be a man thang because hubs came home from golf and the landscaper looked relieved that he didn't have to talk to me anymore. He and hubs decided to put in a stone decorative wall on both sides of the house and lots of other things that added a couple thousand to the bill but still within what I was expecting and have the money for so for convenience sake I gave in on that (but it was to get my way for the kitchen which I will remind him of when I need to).
Inside house: 1. The basement that we had the water damage in is cleaned out and I have had 2 bids so far on the refinishing. Need to pick them out soon but work won't start until January which is considered off season and thus cheaper.
2. I picked out the hardwood flooring I want in the bedrooms which is still up for discussion as hubs wants carpeting (warmer for his piggies...to which I responded put on socks and wear slippers).
3. We are still discussing the new mattress we are getting for our bedroom. Hubs wants to try a sleep number bed thang. I said his side would be very soft and mine would be very hard and we won't ever be able to meet in the middle (which might be ok). Sealy has my vote. It hasn't failed me for 30 years. Our old mattress is going into spare room aka daughter's old room where sugar glider currently resides.
4. Kitchen.....very big sore subject (which I hope to win on since I let hubs get his decorative stone thang outside). I currently have a U shaped kitchen with a large island with cabinets above and below and a breakfast room right next to it. I would love to take out the island and table and put in a huge island in the center of the 2 rooms that has seating with it. It would open up the kitchen area and blend right on through to the family room. We put french doors in the breakfast room a few years ago and to me, this huge island would just open up the whole area. I think we should do it while we are changing countertops anyway. I am currently being vetoed. We shall see. The other topic is the countertops. I picked out my new cooktop already but the discussion is on type and style and color of the countertops. I want a grey granite with black specks with back splashes to the bottom of the cabinets and stainless sinks. He wants something else and says granite backsplashes are ugly. House remodeling reminds me of building this house 22 years ago. I swore I would never do it again.
5. I picked out the paint colors for the hallways (upstairs and downstairs and stairs) and am going with a metallic faux finish in shades of gray and rose with silver as the metallic finish. It gives the walls definition and shine without being gaudy. Just going to have to get the 2 layers of wallpaper off first.

Foot/Ankle: I promised a few people a pic of my neon pink cast which I have been sporting for 2 weeks now. Last Friday I had another MRI which confirmed that while some things have healed, the others are not going to. So surgery is being scheduled. I find out when and what on Friday. I have a formal dinner dance to attend Saturday. I am going to ask for a black cast which would be appropiate for Halloween and would blend in with what I think I am wearing on Saturday. I still haven't made up my mind on that dilemma yet.

Other than that, celebrating that son drove to Phoenix and back in one piece and without a ticket, etc. Now I can breathe again instead of worrying about him on the road. He and a friend drove it straight through. Said it was easier than the drive to the Keys. He loves it in Phoenix. His allergies didn't act up at all until he got home. He got used to the 80+ degree weather in Phoenix and came home to the Chicago 40's and 50's. He dug out all his winter clothes and is going around saying he's freezing....so the battle of the thermostat is starting. Years ago I disconnected the thermostat and put another in (I call it the dummy one) so he can change it all he wants....it won't change off the 64 degree setting I have it on. Maybe one year he will catch on it is a dummy thermostat. But then again........