Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas to all!



I don't know what all of you are doing....but I thought I would amuse myself by playing the game now and then............

Then: Hubs and I would get the munchkins to bed after midnight mass then start wrapping presents and putting things together. I will never forget the time hubs was putting a big wheels together for our daughter and of course didn't read the directions. The handlebars went on backwards...problem was they snapped it and wouldn't come out. I went to bed at 4am and he was still cussing. Kids got up at 6am. They wouldn't wake us up...instead they would stare at us giggling until we woke up. Then it was a mad dash downstairs for presents. Then breakfast then naps.

Now: It's 6:09PM CST and I am patiently waiting on daughter and fiance to come over for dinner (which is supposed to be served at 6:30PM) and presents. After midnight mass, hubs and I went to bed and then slept in this morning and woke up to a phone call from one of my sisters who fell down some stairs and has a Jones fracture. I gave her hints on how to cope and booked her an appointment for tomorrow. The ER put her in a splint. This afternoon we finished wrapping presents we had not done yet, stuffed stockings, did the dishes from yesterday, set the table and started dinner. Nice...quiet...relaxing. Presents after dinner.

Then: mad flurry of wrapping paper flying through the air punctuated with cries of yes and did you see what I got.....no order...complete chaos.

Now: We take turns unwrapping presents so each gets to see what the other gets. In some ways it is more of a pain because I make sure each kid has the same amount of presents to open.

Then: Someone was always sick for the holiday...and inevitably we all would get it, always destroying hubs and I celebrating the New Year.

Now: I send them home to their houses.

Then: We could leave unwrapped presents out under the tree.

Now: We always have to wrap and now it's fancy paper with bows.

Then: Christmas cards and presents were always done and sent the day after Thanksgiving.

Now: I did the Christmas letter, printed them off, stuffed them in envelopes, but I have yet to drop them in a mailbox. I bought Christmas gifts for friends, but I have yet to send them. Well, actually even put them in the boxes I got to send them off.

Then: Christmas present unwrapping was done in robes and no makeup and no coffee.

Now: Makeup is on. Clothes are on. Coffee way way earlier....now into decaf because caffeine would keep us awake all night.

Then: We would find remnants of wrapping paper everywhere for days after. We would be lucky to find the family room floor and even luckier to get the kids to put their new things away after a week.

Now: Wrapping paper is bagged for garbage as we unwrap. Kids tidy up their piles and son takes his to his bedroom...daughter takes hers home. Hubs and I take care of our own piles. Family room back to order within 3 hours.

Then: I would have just the kids who were into their presents so I would have peace and quiet for a few days and lots of leftovers so I didn't have to cook.

Now: I have to work tomorrow. And early.

So Merry Christmas all!