Sunday, December 2, 2007

Decorating for the Holidays


"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas..." We are decorating the house today. As you can see it started with my new cast I got put on Friday after they removed the sutures. I would have taken a picture of the smiley faces but truthfully I forgot the camera. Purty? Then we got an inch of snow and ice yesterday....ground covered.....Sure put me in a festive mood!

So I decided we were decorating today. I hired my daughter to help decorate the house. Her price: a pot of beef vegetable soup. Of course I negotiated her down to a half pot....but threw in a homemade loaf of oatnut bread. Son tried to negotiate too....but I got him down to dinner for free (I have been making him pay rent and for dinners since he is 24 and still living at home).

Only thing we needed was the tree. In the old days, we would make a day trip and go to this farm in Wisconsin to chop a tree down ourselves but haven't done that in a few years. I called the farm we normally get ours from and they had actually chopped some down and brought them to IL and were selling some in a nearby town. The family knows what we usually got so they chopped 2 down for us and brought them down. Hubs went to pick them up today (one for daughter and one for us). OMG it is gorgeous! As a thank you for doing that for us, I sent hubs with a 9x13 pan of homemade lasagna and some pizzelles which they were already cooking before hubs left the lot.

Pot of homemade vegetable soup simmering on the stove......4 loaves of oatnut bread cooling on the counter. No pain pills needed today yet....life is good!

As I sit here watching my family decorate....I leave you today with a quote from Maya Angelou:
"I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights."