Thursday, July 23, 2015

Recipe Thursday - Paleo Pulled Pork


I started following a modified Paleo diet a couple of years ago and my intestines began liking me again. I have had less heartburn and less gluten sensitivity problems. Now if I have the least little bit of gluten I do react faster but I will still eat it but in reduced amounts and not that often.

I started taking my favorite recipes and modifying them to make them gluten free. Truthfully before I started this, I never made pulled pork from scratch, I ordered it from restaurants. My father has a recipe but I always reacted to it so would never eat it.

This recipe is not only gluten free but MSG free (another ingredient in a lot of things I just cannot tolerate) and it is super simple. I make a large batch of it and freeze it by using either the Food Saver or by putting it in a mason jar and making each portion sized to feed 3 adult people.

Ingredients:
3 pounds boneless pork roast (I get my roast from a deli that specializes in organic no hormone meat)
1 cup warm water
1 cube or 1 teaspoon beef bouillon (gluten free too - make sure you read the ingredients)
1 - 2 18 ounce bottle(s) of barbecue sauce (my husband makes a good one but I will also use Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce) - again make sure the sauce is gluten free and is MSG free which Sweet Baby Ray's sauce is. I tend to like their sauce better because it is sweeter. My husband always sprinkles hot sauce to his sandwiches.

Trim off any extra fat from the pork roast (the one I get is always very lean). Place in a large slow cooker. Dissolve the bouillon in the water and pour over the roast.

Cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat shreds easily. I use a baster to remove most of the juices from the slow cooker before removing the meat. Set aside the juice because you might need it later.

Take the meat out and using 2 forks, shred the pork. If the meat is too dry you can add back in some of the juice by tablespoons. I usually add 2-3 tablespoons but again, it is a matter of personal preference. Place the shredded pork back into the crock pot. Pour in the bottle of BBQ sauce or your own creation and gently fold it in. Put the lid back on and cook for another hour on low.

I usually pull out what we need for dinner and freeze the rest. It is a personal  preference to add more BBQ sauce or not or to add hot sauce and to serve it on a sandwich bun or plain. I just always have extra sauce available.

Leftovers: if you have frozen pulled pork, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator. I don't mind mine cold but it is easily reheated via a pot or microwave (just cover and stir a lot).

Enjoy!

No comments: