Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Insurance Company Rant


Warning: This is a rant.

I HATE HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doctors have gotten a bad rap over the years (although I will admit some totally deserve it) but....when have you ever seen a doctor in the top Fortune 500? None! But you can be sure insurance companies are there along with their CEO's who get megabucks.

Where do your premiums go? Not to pay claims but to the CEO's and the shareholders.

I have over 250 health care claims into my insurance company since I fell in August. Do you think they might pay ONE????????????? Nope......they are constantly denied for various reasons:
1. Do you have any other health insurance?
2. Is there someone else responsible for this injury?
3. They manually change the subscriber (insured person) from my husband's name to mine so they can then say I don't have insurance.
4. We need medical notes for every date of service.

Oh wait.....they "paid" the ones that went to my $5000.00 deductible. Those didn't seem to need any of the above.

Ok I have seen the charges going in. I yelled at my doctor many times for undercharging me. Those charges are not outrageous. Thank goodness my husband is on staff at the hospital where I had the surgery or I would be in collections right now to the tune of $30,000 just for the hospital bill which the insurance company has not paid yet, not any other bill since I fell.

I have reported my own insurance company to our state Department of Insurance, to URAC, and to the Better Business Bureau. I have spoken to supervisors of supervisors. I have written letters to the CEO. I thought 2 weeks ago I had everything solved.

WRONG! I received a phone call today asking me why I haven't responded to the 8 requests asking me if I have any other insurance. Now that was the first denial on all the claims. I had already advanced to the medical record denial. Now I am starting at the beginning.......

Grrrr..........then to top the morning off: I started physical therapy today to learn how to walk again on horse parts. Now that is a whole 'nother post......I have Attilla the Hun doing my therapy....lucky me.