Friday, January 11, 2008

Physical Therapy


That was me today trying to work up the courage to go to therapy. I have been sans cast for 9 days and this past week started physical therapy.

1st visit no problemo. Showed them what I could do and what I couldn't do. Plan was made.

2nd visit they brought out the electrical stimulation, deep massage, exercises, and anything else they could find to torture me. That visit I went 1st thing in the am, thinking my ankle is less swollen so it would be easiest. WRONG! I made the mistake later that day of taking off my shoe and could never get it back on.

3rd visit was today. Appointment was this afternoon after daughter and I had gone wedding shopping. Another wrong time. Ankle was sore from the shopping then the therapists just made it worse. I have learned to carry the surgical shoe around with me.

I understand I have been in a cast for 4 and a half months and that for every week you are in a cast it takes 2 weeks to rehab. Logically I spew that info to our patients. Emotionally it's a load of crap especially when it is happening to you. I like it better the other way around.

I learned to walk as an infant. Suddenly lessons I thought I had mastered a way long time ago are long forgotten and each and every step is like the first one. It's like counting while learning to dance.....heel to toe... foot straight...no putting more weight on one side or the other...and no rolling.....and limping isn't allowed. I think a turtle or snail could beat me. I have a test on Monday to see if I have mastered that. A cinch you say? Well, then how about you take it for me? :)

OMG Who knew the foot and ankle were human barometers? I can predict when a storm will hit the area within one hour. I get notice 24 hours prior. And here I thought that was just old people spewing that to have something to say.

Then just when I think I have got it done pat....I go to bed all proud of myself. The problem with this is.....I have to get up the next morning and redo everything all over again. The foot and ankle don't remember a danged thing they were taught the day before.

**sigh**