Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Toronto - Part 3 High Tea

Personally I have never partaken or done or gone to a high tea. I like tea - just never been around anyone English or anywhere it was. So I didn't know quite what to expect. Here are my husband's and my observations about this tradition.

The day after we arrived, we woke up late (take the traveling with the time difference with complete exhaustion) - too late for breakfast or lunch and the hotel we stayed in doesn't believe in the American brunch. So we were hungry and all they were offering was high tea. We asked what was on the menu since neither of us had ever been to a high tea. We were looked at like we were aliens but I guarantee we did take showers and use deodorant and did do our hair and were wearing clothes.

We learned in the haughty prim proper voice of the maitre d' that it consisted of scones, finger sandwiches, pastries, and of course tea (I think I could have figured that one out on my own although my husband was a bit peeved). He said he doesn't drink tea and asked if they had coffee. He was given another of 'the looks' with a proper no, all there is was tea. I gave him 'the look' that I was not walking anywhere else, that it was after 2pm and I was starving and he could tolerate it for one afternoon - to look on it as an educational experience.

Boy what an experience. Anyone else ever have their husband 'get back at them'? Well, mine did and good. Said finger sandwiches numbered exactly 4 - 2 for each of us, approximately the size of 1" by 1" and eating 2 probably would satisfy a mouse but not us. Here is the part where he got me back for subjecting him to this torture. One of said sandwiches was what was called a cucumber sandwich. Okay while I don't like cucumber's, there were only 2 of them so of course I had to eat both allotted to me to have something to eat. (The other one was smoked salmon on creme cheese which I love).

I should have known when my husband stopped eating as I put the cucumber sandwich in my mouth. Hindsight.........it was a cucumber sandwich but it was filled with blue cheese which is the most gosh awful grossest taste I have ever encountered. I hate blue cheese. Husband knows it. The whole sandwich went into my napkin. I wouldn't/couldn't even swallow it even if it was the last food on this earth. Oh yeah, husband was sitting there laughing his ass off. Guess laughing out loud is not allowed either since we got dirty looks (those looks mothers give misbehaving children) from both the maitre d' and our waitress and the other diners. Yep, guess we made an impression. I can imagine them thinking: "They have to be American!"

Scones are different - have no words for them besides they are not what I had envisioned them to be. I had this thought that they were like cornucopias and as light as a croissants and boy was I surprised! Instead they are this heavy biscuit with fruit in it. Not a fan.

There were a few other sweets on this tri-level dish - a swan looking thing, a small slice of cheesecake, and some chocolate flourless super sweet slice. None of the above were very filling. Needless to say I was still starving since I don't eat sweets. We ate dinner very early that day - you know - the senior citizen time.

Here are a few pictures. Notice the tea strainer that sits on the side of the cup yet swings down to catch the drips from the tea leaves. Also notice my husband's pinkie in the air (I made him do it). Oh and once we were in the 'tea room' I saw I wasn't properly dressed - I was the only woman in there not wearing a ginormous fugly hat and hubs was the only man there besides the stuffy maitre d'.


No comments: