Sunday, August 15, 2010

Inspirational Sunday - Moments You Reflect On



"There is only one journey. Going inside yourself."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

"Look within! ... The secret is inside you."
- Zen Buddhism

"An unexamined life is not worth living."
- Plato

Today's lesson in church was all about reflecting upon the moments or your life that have come together brick by brick to shape who you are. It kinda hit home because I have been in a reflective type mood since yesterday.

I don't remember every second of my life but there are ones that stand out:
- The birth of each of my brothers and sisters.
- The death of 7 of my brothers and sisters.
- The day I got a 'Dear John' letter and my hopes and dreams at that time were crushed.
- The day I woke up and realized that my 1st fiance was not all he measured up to be and the 'Dear John' letter was instead a blessing and this time I got to dump him.
- The day I graduated college and then passed the exam and got my RN.
- The day I learned what the shovel is used for on an ambulance.
- My first experience of a gang war in the ER, and the first time I lost a patient just after giving birth to her 1st child.
- The day I met the true love of my life, my husband then the day I married him.
- The day I found out I was pregnant and didn't have the flu.
- The birth of each child, all 4 of them.
- The death of 2 of my children.
- The day I learned I had cancer.
- The death of each of my relatives and friends.
- The Vietnam War which shaped my feelings and ideas through my friends who made it back only to never have their lives the same again, and to those who were lost either in the war or after.
- The day my daughter married and I saw the love on her face reflecting into his and his into hers.
- The day I fell and I learned to how to be humble and accept help when I needed it.
- The day my mother died.

There are so many things. Through each, good and bad though, I learned a lesson. Every day, every minute, every breath you take is truly a gift from God.

Therefore, my reflection today is that everything I have been through in this life must surely be here to give me a greater appreciation for what is to come. And those who know me, know I have never sat still and waited for life to happen. I am ready for my next adventure.

No comments: