Sunday, August 8, 2010

Inspirational Sunday - Judging Others


Most of my blog topics come from things that either happen to me or things I see. This one is no different.

I have never ever said in any post or anything that I am either a Republican or a Democrat. I actually hate both words. There are parts of both parties that just make me so angry that I can't even speak. The part I can't stand? The people that sit in judgement on what they THINK you are and then determine WHAT they think you should think and then bombard you with that judgement.

In three words, blunt and absolute, Jesus commanded us, "Do not judge" (Matt. 7:1). But did he really mean that we should never judge others? He goes on to suggest that it's not the act of judging but the attitude with which we do it that God is most concerned about - "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged" (7:2).

Common sense tells us that if no one ever judged other people, there would be no real human community. In a sinful world, no community can exist for long where nobody is ever held accountable: no teacher would grade a student's performance; no citizen would sit on a jury or call a failed leader to account. And, when you come to think of it, nobody would ever forgive anyone for wrongs they had done; we only forgive people for what we blame them, and we blame them only after we have judged them.

When a person judges, they also form an opinion. But an opinion is not necessarily the same as a judgment. Opinions are often framed by our fears, pride, or ignorance. If all we had were human opinions, we might agree with those who say we should never judge. But opinions can be just as bad as judgements.

People ask me how as a devoted Christian can I allow another to say, have an abortion, or kill someone, or deny anyone who loves another a marriage license even if they are of the same gender. I say that I live my life with God in it. Would I do any of these things? No. But I can't speak for another. I say that before I can judge another I must not have any unconfessed sin in my life. If I have unconfessed sin in my life then I cannot judge. What is important is me. When I come before God at the end of time, it is not others God is judging, it is me - what I have done and not what others have done and it is me who is asking God for forgiveness of MY sins. Anyone else has to go before their own God to ask for forgiveness for their sins. It is not in my power to give supreme forgiveness to them.

Yet, as a person we can forgive others for things they have done to us. "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged" (7:2). So yes, while I can grant them forgiveness for what they have done to me, I cannot judge what they have done. That is for God to do. Jesus tells us plainly that if we judge others, we too will be judged. We are to leave judgment up to God alone.

I leave you with a few quotes:

"We evaluate others with a Godlike justice, but we want them to evaluate us with a Godlike compassion."
- Sydney J. Harris

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
- Mother Teresa

"Remember that I’m Human. Before you judge me or decide how you’ll deal with me, walk awhile in my shoes. If you do, I think you’ll find with more understanding we can meet in the middle and walk the rest of the way together."
- Eric Harvey and Steve Ventura: 'Walk Awhile in My Shoes'

"When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
- Wayne Dyer (Psychotherapist, Author and Speaker)

No comments: