Saturday, August 7, 2010

Recipe Thursday - Sloppy Joes

Yeah - another day late but had a wake to attend last night.

This is a super simple homemade recipe that I played with years ago and finally perfected according to my children and husband who were are the pickiest people to cook for AND please.

2 pounds ground beef (again - I grind my own beef straight from a roast so it is very lean)
1 cup finely diced onion
2 cups ketchup (the critics prefer Heinz only)
4 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons mustard (the critics prefer plain French's)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons vinegar (white works best)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar

Brown the beef and onion together. Drain if you didn't use lean beef. Add the remaining and simmer on low for 30 minutes. Put on bread, buns, or whatever you prefer. Now my kids preferred homemade chips with the sloppy joes. I thought they needed more veges so I compromised and made them chips and I steamed a zucchini, mushrooms, and carrots and then pureed them and put them in the sloppy joes. There is always more than one way to fool your children!

No comments: