Thursday, August 6, 2015

Recipe Thursday - Bread and Butter Pickles




This is a recipe handed down from my grandmother. It is great for those of us who plant cucumbers that seem to multiply by more than one person can eat. I usually pick them when they are smaller because I like the taste of them better for pickles. But I have been known to use the larger ones too. For those of you who purchase their cucumbers to make the recipe, look for farmers markets where the cucumbers are fresher and have not been sitting who knows how long in grocery stores, etc. The fresher the cucumber, the better tasting the pickle will be.

Ingredients:
4 pounds of cucumbers, sliced
4 onions, sliced (you can use more onions- I cut the original recipe in half since I don't like onions)
1/2 cup canning salt
5 cups sugar
4 cups white vinegar
2 tablespoons mustard SEED
2 teaspoons celery SEED
1 and 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

In a large glass container, combine the cucumbers, onions, and salt. Cover with crushed ice and mix well. Let stand for 3 hours. Drain. Rinse then drain again. (I used a plastic Tupperware Fix'n'Mix once and never again as the plastic retained a funky smell and the cucumbers picked up a plastic taste.)

In a large pot (I use my soup pot), combine the sugar, vinegar, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Add the cucumber mixture and return to a boil. Remove from heat.

Carefully ladle the hot mixture into hot Mason canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch space at the top. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims well and adjust lids for the canning and sealing process. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water canner (I also will use a super large sized pan filled with boiling water).

Remove from water. Cool. You can store these jars in a cool cupboard for up to 6 months.

Makes about 7 pints





No comments: