Thursday, August 13, 2015

Recipe Thursday - Creme Brulee French Toast


First off, pardon my borrowed picture. I tried to pick one that looked the closest to the recipe. The picture shows the recipe in a 9x13 pan which you can also use, it just makes less. I have made this quite a few times but keep forgetting to take a picture of the finished product since I am more into the eating of it :)

I am a very picky person about my French toast and the preparation. However, I love creme brulee and OMG this is a melt in your mouth deliciousness! I made mine gluten free and from what I have been told, the gluten free recipe is no different in taste than the one made with the Texas toast.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons corn syrup
1 loaf Texas toast bread (For Gluten Free: I use thick gluten free bread from Mariano's)
5 eggs
1 and 1/2 cups half and half cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Dash of cinnamon

Note: You can also use a French bread loaf and slice it into thick slices.

Instructions:
In a small saucepan melt the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup and stir over medium heat until smooth, stirring constantly.

Pour mixture in large greased jelly roll pan (18x13x1). Spread evenly to cover surface.

Place 12 slices of the thick bread in a single layer (may need more) making sure to cover the bottom of the pan.

Mix together the eggs, cream. salt, vanilla, and cinnamon. Spoon mixture over each slice of bread.

Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, uncover and bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes.

Remove from pan and serve.

Note: if not serving immediately, turn bread over to prevent bread from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Some people like maple syrup with it. Personally I don't as I love the taste of the creme brulee.

No comments: