Saturday, March 17, 2007

Medical Office Pet Peeves

It has to be a full moon. Today's pet peeves:
1. Don't call a doctor's office stating that you have been in severe pain for over 3 weeks and you just decided to call the office today for an appointment and demand to be seen the same day.
2. Don't call a doctor's office and whine that your mother needs her toenails trimmed TODAY because you decided to finally visit her and want to take her out. TRIM THEM YOURSELF!
3. Don't yell at me when it is YOUR insurance policy that states you can't have a certain treatment. It's not my fault. Yell at your boss or employee benefits.
4. Don't yell at me or try to bargain with me because you have a deductible of $1000.00 which has to be met before the insurance company decides to pay. That deductible is your responsibility, period. Don't try to say 3 months after the fact that you didn't want those services anyway. YOU GOT THEM! You can't take a loaf of bread back to the grocery store. You can't take services you received back either. You signed the consent. You agreed to the procedure. Now pay your bill.
5. The internet's information can be wrong. Don't believe what is out there. I am not the hospital. Don't yell at me that you got my number from the internet and I am supposed to be the hospital. I am not. Call directory assistance. I am not directory assistance nor do I have the time to be.
6. Insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying your bills. One of their biggest ways is to say the doctor billed this incorrectly. No we didn't. We just happened to use a code that became effective January 1st and your insurance company hasn't updated their computers yet. Tis not my problem.
7. Don't yell at me that you weren't expecting to get a bill from us. If the insurance company says that you owe a portion of your bill, you do. This is non-negotiable.
8. Just because your insurance company finally decided to pay us after 6 months of yelling at them, don't yell at me that you finally got a bill. You have received monthly statements and signed a financial agreement that this is your insurance company, not mine, and you would be responsible for payments not received within 3 months. Yell at your insurance company.
9. Insurance companies do not pay for everything. Don't even attempt to try and ask me to bill it in a different way so it would be covered. That is fraud and I am unwilling to commit fraud for your ass as I will lose my license.
10. Yes, we accept payment plans but $5.00 a month when you drive a BMW and come in with a Starbucks coffee cup are not acceptable. Yes, if you are on payment plans, we bill you a $10.00 rebilling fee if you miss one payment.

As you can see, tis been a wee bit of a rough morning....one office down and one to go....

HAPPY ST PATRICK'S DAY and Happy 54th Anniversary Mom and Dad!