Monday, May 14, 2007

Dentist


I go to a dentist every 6 months for teeth cleaning. Have all my life. Never ever had a shot in my mouth nor a cavity so no experience in 53 years but normal cleanings.

UNTIL. TODAY.

I happened to be one of the lucky ones who not only has never had a cavity but I didn't get wisdom teeth either (I say that I was smart enough already). But....I had a baby tooth that lasted 43 years (never had a permanent tooth there). Until now I wore what is called a flipper:

But with taking it in and out every day, I would end up having to replace it once every couple of years.

My dentist finally talked me into a partial bridge. She said....piece of cake. No problemo.....remind me to not believe anyone who says something is easy as my life recently has not been easy one iota! Today I had my first shot...actually it was 4. Ok...mouth a little weird. Ok...eyes starting watering....ok can't feel mouth or tongue and started drooling.....thinking to myself...I will need to do makeup repair. Then dentist and assistant come in. She tests it all....yep all ready. She asks me if I am ready....I am like...I think so but in reality I said i sheenk sho...

Then the drill comes out. Let me tell you that is worse than 500 fingers scraping over a blackboard. Shrill and whining. Podiatry drills are not like that. Plus I am still drooling which I don't feel until it hits my neck....thinking to myself now I need to change scrubs too.....

I learned talking is not an option. Between the fingers in the mouth and the drill there was no room for any type of meaningful conversation...not even how's the weather....Oh she would ask.....I think I mumbled.....dunno can't remember...but why would someone talk to you or attempt to carry on a conversation with someone whose mouth is numb and your fingers are shoved into it?

Now I am done. No one told me I wouldn't be able to talk for HOURS or eat....now changing my scrubs from my drool and putting on more makeup was the least of my problems. I had to work. I had to answer the phone. I had to speak. I had to enunciate. I couldn't do any of it. No one understood me......my husband was dying laughing....he had to dodge the groin kick. But my mouth wouldn't move in the way it needed to so words would come out normal.

Then I am figuring my mouth is starting to feel less numb....good....ummm...NO... not good.....PAIN.SETS.IN. She had told me that I would probably have some nerve pain from drilling down the 2 teeth where she was attaching the temporary partial to....but she is talking to someone who has had over 10 abdominal surgeries and cancer treatment and never took a pain pill. WRONG.AGAIN. I am living on ibuprofen. I don't like talking as it hurts to move my lips across the sensitive areas. Eating is a joke. Wedding diet is loving this. I finally went to the grocery store and bought some baby food. So for the next 2 weeks until my permanent brace gets in, my diet will consist of scrambled eggs, pudding, warm jello, cool soups, no ice, baby food, mashed potatoes, and anything else that will slide down and not chew.

I really have to learn how to say NO.