Friday, April 25, 2008

Countdown - 7 days and losing my sanity

I come home from the grocery store this morning only to find hubs beat me home. His first comment to me was: "Honey, you don't have to pick up Gizmo, I brought her home". Me: "What did you just say"? Hubs: "You heard me. She's on the mantle". So I look to the mantle over the fireplace and what do I see but a cat. So I am now thinking what the h did the man do? Get her stuffed?


Then I go for a closer look and the cat opens her eyes and stares at me. I screamed. Yep, one of those blood curdling screams I am sure the whole neighborhood heard.


Turns out it is the last cat we still have, Tigger, who decided it was a nice spot to sleep in to get away from the granddoggies. I calmed down but not for long.

The granite installers came. They wouldn't install until we unhooked the electric cook top and the sink and the garbage disposal. I looked at them like they were nuts...like I know how to do this stuff. So I think they felt sorry for me because I went for the How to do Anything in your House book for Dummies and they unhooked everything for me. I am thinking ok....here we go. Right? That's what a normal person would think, right? But we all know I am not normal.

We built this house in 1986. It still has the original floor, and original cabinets. I paid a hefty price back then to have stuff installed. You would think they would have done it right, correct? No yet again (remember this is me here). I have a 1/2 inch difference in heights of the cabinets. Installers shake their heads and say in broken English, "Sorry, miss, no install. Crooked". Ok here I am thinking you took counter tops off, right? They were on crooked cabinets. What's the big deal?

Well, a big one. One of the guys went to my book and showed me what was wrong then called his boss. I picked up a few words but basically they were saying they were leaving. I said hell no you aren't leaving. I have a wedding. Ok crazed woman went into high gear. I called the granite people and found out I had to now hire a carpenter and until I got the cabinets leveled, I was not getting the counter tops installed. What I said can't be repeated here but suffice to say, installers stuck around and installed the bathroom and short cabinet in the kitchen. They rescheduled me for Monday.

I got on the phone to now find a carpenter. Luckily I opened up the phone book and saw a name I recognized I had patients from and called them. I was crying at this time. I think they felt sorry for me but they had 2 carpenters out here within the hour. They leveled my cabinets. I am now missing a few tiles but was planning on putting in hardwood floors anyway within a year or 2 or 3. Besides, what's a few tiles missing vs missing counter tops?

Hubs came back home. Son had been here throughout the whole afternoon. Hubs asked where the new counter tops were. Son said, "Man, I wouldn't talk to her without giving either her or yourself some Valium. It just isn't safe".

So here's the kitchen. That's hubs' rear in the pic - collecting things that had fallen back behind the old counter tops. Actually he saw a golf ball back there. I wasn't going to find out how it got back there. I didn't want to ask. I didn't want to know.


I also am not going to talk about how a county inspector who comes from downtown Chicago manages to find out we have a huge dumpster in our parkway and walks into my house without knocking and scares the pants off me.

A sane person would be drinking by now. 7 more days to get through. Somehow the song, "They're coming to take you away, haha" is playing in my head.