Thursday, April 17, 2008

Organized Clutter and Chaos


16 days to the wedding...actually 15 for me since I have people staying here at the house the day before. Yep list is made. We are now down to finishing the projects in each room so I have an organized clutter. Hubs calls it chaos.

I don't know about any of you but when we have a family function and it involves people at our house, it's the exact same time we decide to do some major changes. Usually in my typical fashion we start a week before. I will have you know that this time I started earlier......yep last fall!

Last fall: new roof, new landscaping

Winter: Ripped son's carpeting out of his room, patched his walls and ceiling (don't wanna know how or why or the wherefores there) and have finished painting it blood red. Yep it's red. Very red. I picked up light gray room darkening drapes for him. (Did I mention that to walk to son's room, one has to negotiate all his furniture - double bed, 2 dressers, desk, computer, TV, and clothes - which all happen to be in the hallway to said room.

Guest bathroom: walls patched, counter top and sink ripped out and discarded, on 2nd coat of light gray paint. Already have new light fixture and new counter top that includes a sink along with new faucet ready to go in once the paint is dry.

Daughter's old room: Still currently has sugar glider in her cage but the room has been cleaned out and ready to wash walls after glider is back in son's room. Old queen size bed out of room and into living room (that story coming a bit later). So waiting to wash the walls and carpet and then hang the drapes from the master bedroom, move our king size bed from master into that room, and put in girly smelling things to cover the musk of sugar glider smell.

Spare room: Currently son is sleeping there so until I get him moved back to his room, can't do much there. But the curtains that were in daughter's old room are going in this room so they have been laundered and are ready to hang.

Our room: not a thing is being done for the wedding. I plan on closing the door and putting a lock on it. We are planning on taking delivery of a new king sized mattress next week so when we do ours will go to daughter's old room. But in reality our room isn't that bad. Now it just needs a design since we are putting the bedspread and curtains in daughter's old room but haven't found anything I like.

Now most people would think....that's a lot to do yet. But it really isn't. The most work is still downstairs on the main level. Here's where we get to the interesting parts.

The living room has become the dumping ground. I had son push all the furniture in it to the far side and are using the other half as a dumpster (well the dumpster is coming Saturday and then that stuff will be carted out to said dumpster) but I had to have a collection place and that was the biggest area.

Family room has become the sorting room. There are piles everywhere. Piles for each room upstairs or downstairs once the said room is ready for its pile.

New granite counter tops for the kitchen are being put in next week along with a new counter top and sink for the downstairs bathroom. I cleaned out the laundry room and pantry closet today so I have piles again on the counters. They will be gone tomorrow.

So does my house look like I could qualify to be on Oprah for clutter bug? You betcha! But it is an organized clutter. Unless of course..... the dogs and cat, hubs and kid get in the piles and mess them up then it will be chaos and you will be able to hear me many miles away!