Wednesday, September 19, 2007

New toy


I consulted a surgeon on Monday and he recommended a non-weight bearing cast for another 2 weeks and then we will see when surgery will be. I can't stand on my ankle at all without either the cast or a brace on and even with them it is really painful. I still have my wheelchair but I still needed the crutches for small areas which killed my left hand (still in splint/cast) and my left knee (still in splint). Being non-weight bearing is a pain. Well today I am taking delivery of this gorgeous scooter. I can't wait. It is lightweight so I can drag it upstairs with me when I go up on my rear. It is smaller so it will go in the bathroom. Plus it will let me be a bit more mobile. Granted I am getting a lot accomplished sitting on my rear but said rear is spreading. I need it exercised. I tried scooting across the floor on my rear but that gets tiring let alone I have rug burn butt now. Crawling is out of the picture because of the left knee and cast on the right foot. I am so excited! Great inventions!

Cast colors are all the rage! In the past 5 weeks I have worn a red cast, a Chicago Bears cast, and a green cast. This time I have a neon purple cast. Now I am 53. My leg hair doesn't grow much anymore or I should say it didn't used to. Seems the cast has miracle grow in it. Those leg hairs are at least an inch long now. AND I CAN'T SHAVE THEM. The leg has been in the cast so long, the skin is softer. If I shaved, I would remove a layer or 2 of skin. The cast itches enough without razor burn under there too. So instead before I let them put the new cast on Monday, I gooped up the leg with zinc oxide and it made it feel much better or at least so far.

Monday's appointment was a one stop shop. I had the hand doctor see me about the hand. I then saw the knee doctor for the knee, then the podiatrist for my ankle. All in the same office. They came to me. 3 copays though...one for each doctor.

It is also official. I now have a handicapped tag for the car. I had resisted getting one but it is hard for people who take me places to let me off along with my equipment then go park the car, then walk back and reverse that to put me back in the car. It's only a temporary one for 3 months. Let's pray that is all it is. I want to walk down the aisle for my daughter's wedding.

By the way, I will love the basket on the scooter. I was becoming a bag lady carting things around in a plastic bag. Also there is a bell like those on bicycles. I can't wait to play with that one although I was getting handy with the crutches and using them to get people's attention (mainly my husband). I can propel the crutch much in the same way track kids do the javelin.