Monday, September 3, 2007

This and That

Seems all of you have lots of better things to do than I do. We were planning on going to our village's fest this afternoon. It actually has been going on since Saturday but it's a bit hard still for me to get around. Today though is the Taste where local restaurants put on their wares and charity groups run them and get the profits (we used to work them in the past when the kids were younger). Today's lineup that we wanted to see is Eddie Diamond in a 'Blast from the Past' then a Bon Jovi Tribute called 'Bad Medicine' then Christopher Cross followed by fireworks. We have decided not to go until later because today's weather is to get to 88 with 60% humidity and a dew point of 63 which means hot sticky midwest weather and way too hot for me with 3 casts on and for hubs to push me around. His words but how can one argue with the person who pushes you around (in the good way)?

Hubs and I did sort out the 5 photo albums that had gotten flooded in our basement (did I mention we had water to our 2nd step when our power was out last weekend?) We were able to save quite a few pictures. I haven't been down in the basement yet as I can't negotiate those stairs with my casts but I saw what we lost as I had to catalogue it when the people I had hired to do the cleanup brought it to me. Most of what we lost we were planning on throwing away anyway as we had already been sorting and cleaning the other rooms for the wedding and getting rid of things we don't need anymore. I had stored it in the basement until I rented a dumpster to take it. But I guesstimate that we lost around $5000.00 not including the carpeting and half of the walls and insulation but we aren't going to claim it on our homeowner's policy. I don't know about homeowner's insurance policies around you but here if you make more than 3 claims within a certain amount of time, you are cancelled. I am not taking that chance with a minor claim. My freezer, water pump, furnace, water softner and hot water heater were all up on cinder blocks so they were all ok. We will wait now to redo the basement this winter.

I have gotten a lot of work done for my clients this weekend along with the laundry and end of month invoicing and bill paying. Hubs set me up on the breakfast room table with a printer, computer, and internet cable so I can stay with my legs elevated. I did have to have surgery to remove the bone chips in my left knee and left palm as they were going to cause a problem but to me it was a minor surgery and just incisions to heal. Stitches come out next week. The knee they did arthroscopically which was good. The hand has more stitches in it than the knee. The right ankle is still in a cast and we won't be able to tell if I need the ligaments surgically repaired until 6-8 weeks when the cast comes off and we find they haven't healed on their own. Thinking positive here......

Guess I am feeling the frustration of not being able to do much. I miss cooking and I miss being able to take a shower without wrapping myself up like a mummy just to feel water on my head. These are what I use (one on my left hand to my elbow, one on my left leg from my foot to the thigh, and one on my right leg from the foot to the ankle. I have the use of my right hand to wash myself. The first few times were interesting (hubs had to help me) but now I actually do pretty much of it myself. Here is the fantastic invention:

As you can see they have different sizes for the legs and arms. I will attest that they do keep the water out! This is one of the reasons why it takes me 2 hours to take a shower, put on makeup, do my hair, and get dressed when it used to take me 30 - 45 minutes max.

Hubs still hasn't passed his drivers license for the wheelchair. He still does 50 in a 10mph zone and still bottoms out on ramps. He gets his chuckle and I get a roller coaster ride.

Happy Labor Day all!