Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ankle Impingement


Looks weird, heh? Well, after the cat scan Dec 31st, the diagnostic ultrasound last Thursday, and then a doctor visit Monday with an injection to confirm the diagnosis, I finally have an answer to what is causing my ankle pain and instability and to lock up. I actually have 2 problems - the ankle impingement and a metal allergy to the screws and anchors they put in my foot. So surgery has been scheduled for the 21st of May. I will be non-weight bearing for up to 8 weeks and then weight bearing cast for who knows how long. I was planning a trip to Toronto July to August and was told to prepare to still be in a cast for the trip. This time they will do both sides at the same time.

So what does ankle impingement mean besides pain? Actually the ankle sprains and ruptured ligaments I had from that fall in Philly July of 07 caused it along with the subsequent surgeries to repair the ligaments. As the repaired ligaments healed, they formed too much scar tissue. This scar tissue can form a mass of tissue and when I dorsiflex my ankle, it traps this tissue between the edge of the ankle joints causing pain, popping, and a feeling that my ankle will give out and not support me. This is what happens to me. I will be walking along - ok limping along - and all of a sudden, my ankle will lock up and the intense pain will make me kneel down and pray for relief. My doctor said to think of it as biting the inside of your cheek all the time - same feeling - cheek tissue trapped between your teeth.

The first time the ankle impingement happened, of course the person in front of me was my husband who thought I was kneeling in front of him, thinking I was worshipping the ground he walks on. All of you who know me, know that although I love my husband deeply, it would be a cold day in hell before I would kneel before him and worship the ground he walked on. That just isn't me.

So the other thing that we should have realized but didn't - I have metal allergies. This is the reason you will seldom see me in jewelry. My wedding ring I have to coat the back of with clear nail polish. I wear a leather band on my watch. If I have to get dressed up and be fancy smancy, the earrings and necklace I wear will leave read marks on me for up to a week. I have 3 pinpoint areas of pain on my foot besides the impingement area. These areas correspond to the 1 screw and the 2 anchors. So they will be coming out.

Ever been torn? As long as I sit and don't move, my ankle feels fine. I can walk for an hour or 2 or 3 or 4 and then I worship the floor. I never know when it will happen. So my options are either spend the rest of my life on my rear, or have another surgery which will make me sicker than a dog for a week plus be in a non-weight bearing cast again with a scooter, and then confined in a cast for who knows how long.

I am picking surgery. The upside to the surgery besides being out of pain: my husband waits on me hand and foot and does all the cooking etc for as long as I am in the cast.

I think I need a new bell.

No comments: