Monday, May 18, 2009

I.Done.Did.My.Duty.


Today was just so interesting that I felt compelled to share my experiences with you.

I took FIL and MIL for a special luncheon hosted by their local senior center. The luncheon was to honor veterans in their area. I didn't really place much thought into what I was getting into when I said I would take them. In the future..yeah we shall see. I think it is something their sons should enjoy with their parents.

The process of going to this luncheon actually started a week ago when I started getting daily phone calls from MIL about what time she thought I should be there to pick them up and what time we had to arrive at said event. She wanted to be the first person parking in the closest handicapped spot and the first to pick out a table, etc. Well, I refused to be somewhere 3 hours early to satisfy her being 1st. I also had to inform the home that FIL is in to have him ready and to please make sure he was dressed appropriately and had taken a shower that morning. I even warned MIL to make sure she took a shower too. Didn't want to smell old people.

On the ride to their town, MIL calls me 5 times, worrying about what FIL is wearing and whether or not we will be on time, etc. I calm her down thinking I knew I should have taken extra Valium with me today because I can't have ibuprofen or Tylenol or anything but the Valium since my surgery is this Thursday.

So I pick up MIL and we go to pick up FIL together. MIL puts FIL in the back seat of the car and proceeds to douse him with Old Spice and herself with Jean Nate, then takes out a nose trimmer and goes to town on FIL. I turned up the music, turn on the air, and open the sunroof to let some of the cologne aromas escape.

We get to the luncheon a full 30 minutes early. We had the 2nd spot closest to the door and a table all to ourselves and watched the others wandering in (I firmly believe that was what she wanted - to watch who came in). FIL kept asking who we were and why we were there.

So the luncheon starts and they are short of help so I get up to help serve. So although FIL and MIL had taken a shower and didn't smell like old people, the other 118 people didn't get the memo. Plus the temperature was at least 100 in that room and someone complained about the fan blowing on them so there went any relief from the heat combined with Jean Nate and Old Spice and old people smell.

Lunch by the way tasted like Chef Boyardee's sauce over mostacholi with a salad and a roll and something that was white. Someone said it was tortellini in white sauce but truthfully it looked like someone barfed it up. I had the roll.

Now the highlight of the day: MIL got me an application to join their senior center so we (MIL and me) can take trips together. Seems their senior center starts at age 55. Um...yeah the application hit the shredder pile when I got back to the office.

Joy Joy......the things I do for my husband and inlaws. Yes, I am keeping track! I think today calls for a Purple Heart or at least 20 back massages and numerous "Honey what can I do to please you this second?". Yeah liking that.........

No comments: