Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Spring


On my way to the dentist this morning, I was pondering what I was going to blog about. I couldn't think of anything so instead the flowers in a field near the forest preserve I passed caught my eye. OMG they were so beautiful. These were not tulips or jonquils or crab apple trees which are in full blossom right now and are gorgeous on their own. What caught my eye was the above field of dandelions.

I know they are the curse of my husband and he is the first to whip out the products to kill any that dare stray into our yard. But honestly, they have gorgeous and have sentimental values to me. They were the first flower I gave my mother and the first flower my kids gave me. And they are pretty - bright yellow against the fresh green grass.....

Then we had a riot when they did this:

I remember as a kid seeing how far I could get the seeds to blow away. We would have contests too. Life was simple then. When did dandelions become something to get rid of?

Here are some facts you may not have known about this gorgeous flower and might just change your mind on getting rid of them:

1. The dandelion is a hardy perennial herb. It spreads fast via their seeds. It is said to be a highly effective diuretic because it contains high levels of potassium salts.

2. Interestingly enough the French call it pissenlit —‘wet-the-bed’. The common name, however, comes from the French dent de lion, tooth of the lion, referring to the jagged edges of the leaves.

3. It has a long history as a medicinal herb in China. Eating or drinking dandelion in any form has the following effects besides being a diuretic: it is a mild laxative, a tonic, a blood purifier and a digestive aid. It is recommended for liver complaints, jaundice, gall bladder and kidney problems, loss of appetite, eczema and dropsy, and it can relieve the symptoms of rheumatism and arthritis. It is also rich in protein, sugar, vitamins, minerals and bitter principles. Modern research by herbalists has shown that a dandelion is effective in treating chronic degenerative joint diseases, by increasing mobility, reducing stiffness and decreasing the tendency to develop further lesions.

4. As an added bonus the root can be roasted and used as a coffee substitute. The greens are more nutritious than spinach, and are a delicious addition to soups and salads. The leaves and flowers can be made into dandelion wine, and the young buds make an acceptable substitute for capers when pickled.

Now why would anyone want to get rid of this beneficial herb?

Now me? I just love to look at them as one of the first signs that spring is here and reminisce about the good old days.

No comments: