Saturday, May 23, 2009



This is me again. I am banned to my bed and frankly, this surgery has been a lot more painful so I live from pill to pill. I haven't really felt like being here much.

I got descrewed - they removed the one screw on the inside of the ankle and the 2 on the outside of the ankle. The docs then (hubs was the assistant surgeon) then cut out the lining of the horse part that was used to make me a new ATF ligament. It did its job so was no longer needed and my body was rejecting it (I kept telling my husband I wasn't a horse).

Then they did the arthroscope and that is where they found all my pain. Normally an ankle is full of synovial fluid which cushions the ankle joints and allows them to slide effortlessly around. My fluid had thickened and looked like raw beefy skin - yep the whole joint. My ankle was so full of this stuff that the normal fluid was being forced into the inside and outside of my ankle, putting pressure on my post tibial tendon and peroneal tendon and big toe tendon causing them not to function. They cleaned up all the inflammation and put me into a non-weight bearing cast but with the knowledge that with all the trauma that was done to my ankle when I fell in Philly that it will never be the same and I will always have this problem. Great........just what I wanted to hear - that this might happen every few years.

I gotta say that this surgery has literally put me on my butt. My ankle hurts like a...well let's just say it's on the pain scale of 8 to a 10 all the time. I live for my pain meds right now although I can't take codeine so am on Darvocet and anti-inflammatory and ice packs. I take the Valium to get sleep. I did finally get up enough to take a shower last night so at least I smell better.

No comments: