Sunday, November 15, 2009

Spiritual Sunday - Perseverance


This is my word for spiritual Sunday. There have been a whole lot of times in the past couple of years that I have felt I have been hanging on by the last threads of my sanity. Why? Probably for the same reasons every single one of us go through at any given time. Why do we keep going? Why do we not give up?

I know the reasons why I don't even though I will have 'pity parties' plenty of times. But the reason I go on is knowing that 'this too shall pass' and because I am a really really stubborn obstinate person. I refuse to ever give up.

Perseverance is actually about not giving up. It’s a term for those who keep going despite difficult conditions. Many great people have shown us that the will to persevere, to keep going, despite real difficulties can result in great achievement.

I persevere with this blog just by trying to post at least a few times a week. I think the reason is more this helps me not speak to myself. So many things run through my mind and sometimes they even come out my mouth so by forcing myself to write this stuff down, it comes out halfway sane sounding or at least I hope it does.

I persevere with my messed up ankle because I know one day I will walk without pain. Many people have questioned why I stay with the same doctor. I say he's the only one outside of my husband I totally and completely trust.

So how can one persevere? This are things I do:
1. When something starts to bother you, wait as long as you can before you express frustration. I try to write it out but never give the person or thing bothering me what I write. I usually just throw it away.
2. When something doesn't work right, try again and again.
3. Don't lose your temper when something upsets you.
4. Always finish what you start.
5. Keep working at something that is difficult until you complete it.
6. Don't give up on difficult jobs or situations.
7. Focus on someone or something that ordinarily makes you lose your patience and try to understand it and don't 'lose it'.
8. Work a little harder or a few minutes longer on a task that you do not like.

The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one comes from a strong will, and the other from a strong won't.
-Henry Ward Beecher


Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.
-Newt Gingrich


People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them.
-G.B. Shaw