Saturday, September 19, 2009

Top Ten Excuses Not to Pay Your Bill


This was statement week aka hell week. It has always amazes me how many people know they will owe money to us, receive an explanation of benefits from their insurance company stating exactly how much they owe us, yet protest if I dare send them a bill.

The top 10 excuses this week:
10. "I got this bill from you but I am not sure what to do with it".

9. "I am protesting my bill. I think the insurance company should pay more so get it from them".

8. "Who are you? I have never been to your office".

7. "I don't have any money right now because we are buying a new car".

6. "I would like a payment plan of $5.00 per month". (Their bill was over $1000.00).

5. Sending me a check yet not signing it, or crossing out something without putting your initials above it, or filling in one number yet writing it out different, or putting last year's date on it, or even better - leave the entire check blank and send it to me.

4. "I'm divorced and my ex is supposed to pay that bill per the divorce decree". (Not a valid excuse - we saw you not your ex. Collect it from the ex AFTER you pay us).

3. "We did not receive a statement". But wait - you are calling me about your statement you are now stating you did not receive?

2. "I paid it already - check #1234 a year ago." My answer: "No - check #1234 went to pay such and such dates. This statement is for this year and this date".

and the one I consider the #1 excuse this week and actually the best of all time:
"You forgot to put a stamp on the return envelope and until you send me a stamp, I won't pay my bill". They are getting another statement along with a $15.00 monthly billing charge added to their prior bill and will get that until they pay their bill without me sending them a single stamp.

No comments: