Monday, August 27, 2007

Life in a wheelchair - part 1.

I actually don't know how many parts this will be....just that I know there is more than one post can take.

Most of you know what happened and why I am in a wheelchair from my last post. I have a cast to the knee on my right leg, a brace on my left knee from my thigh to the calf, and a brace on my left hand from my fingertips to my elbow so I won't move the thumb or wrist. I am supposed to be non-weight bearing (meaning no weight at all actually on either leg) but that is impossible. I stand on the left leg as it is the least messed up.

Every now and then in life, you get a chance to do something that changes the way you look at the world. It's one of those yep moments that you may not realize right away but it is something that one day you will realize just how profoundly you have been affected. Every single day in this chair has brought a new learning experience and adaption. My view of the world around me is forever changed (I thought I was short before but in the chair, I am a midget).

Now on to life in a wheelchair. In nursing school we had to spend a full day in one to get an idea of what it was like. But you knew it was going to end in 24 hours. This is so totally different. I have a healthy respect now for those who will spend the rest of their lives in one. I know that I will one day get out of it.

The mobility issue is just one small part. Both my legs are elevated in the wheelchair and with the brace on one hand, all I have to get around with is my right hand. I swear learning how to keep the wheelchair going straight was a day's lesson in itself and my right arm is now very toned.

The dependency issue is another small part. After almost 2 weeks now, I am still encountering things and issues every day. I do not have a dependent personality. I hated when I was in chemo and had radiation. I have too much a giver personality and not a taker. It's hard for me to learn to ask for help.

Which brings me to the frustration issue. To me this is one of the biggest hurdles I have had to overcome. It was brought forth even more when we got hit with a monster storm that took out our power for 4 days. We live in an unincorporated area meaning we are on well and septic. When we have no power, we also have no running water - no showers - no flushing the toilet. Now we have a generator but it needed refilled every 2 hours. Before my accident, I would be taking one of the shifts keeping the house protected and the generator running. In the wheelchair, that was impossible. I couldn't even reach down to start the thing let alone get the gas can, lift it, and put gas in the tank. But when that generator failed, son took me to Home Depot where I waited in line for almost 5 hours waiting for a truck to arrive with new generators. That I did fine by myself so son could run some errands. That is until I had to go to the bathroom.

To be continued......