Monday, July 6, 2009

Back in a Cast


Well, the MRI results are in. I have a whole lot of inflammation still in the ankle and the joints - more than I should at 6 and 1/2 weeks postop. So I got a cortisone shot in the joint of the ankle near the back where most of the inflammation seemed to be. Interestingly enough, my doctor did it under fluoroscopic unit guidance so he could place the medicine at the right place. As soon as the medicine started going in, I felt that same sharp pain that I have felt whenever I am walking on the foot and ankle and the initial pain I felt when I fell. He put Lidocaine into the ankle joint too so after he had me stand on the foot. It was a miracle because that pain had disappeared (it has been a constant sharp pain since I started walking on it again a week and half ago). That was why I had the MRI.

So the diagnosis is that the syndesmotic injury I had sustained has never totally healed which is what was giving me the feeling that my ankle was going to give out on me and was contributing to the instability of the whole ankle joint. So mid August or September I have to set up a date to have that repair. I do have another bone chip but they aren't concerned about it as the MRI showed it not to be in the joint or moving or touching any vital parts. My body should just absorb it.

I am just happy they found that pain I had been having as it was hard to describe and would go away if I sat down and has been hard to find on any test (it was blocked by prior MRI's and the CT scan because the screws would distort the picture in that area). This MRI showed it had not completely healed, then the injection hit the spot and we finally recreated the pain. Voila - a diagnosis.

I was then casted to the knee and this cast will be on for another 2 weeks and then the doctor will re-evaluate. I leave for Toronto then probably still in a cast - that is if I get a passport since it still hasn't arrived yet although my husband got his over 3 weeks ago. I guess that's what one gets for being born on an Air Force Base and thus have a government issued birth certificate and not a county or state like other people.

Nothing is ever simple with me.