Sunday, July 12, 2009

Handicap Spots


Yesterday after we worked one of the offices, we went to a birthday party for 2 dear girls who are pretty special to me (Happy Birthday K and K)! Afterwards since we were in the town my parents live, we stopped by to see them since we hadn't been there since Mother's Day (too long of a drive and too rough on me to get into their house with way too many steps). We decided to take them to Texas Roadhouse for dinner.

We went to park in a handicap parking spot (I have a temporary placard because of my ankle but my father has one of his own and so does my mother). So basically we have full rights to park in a spot since in our car, of the 4 in it, only my husband was considered a non-handicapped person. 4 other cars pulled into handicap spots around the time it took us to get to the front door. They all beat us to the door, were seated, and had drinks and appetizers before we even got to a table (no - there was no waiting for a table). I didn't see one of them that would have something so threatening that would require their use of a permanent handicap parking placard, let alone a temporary one.

Every time I go out, I see more and more illegal use of handicap parking permits. This type of fraud and abuse has become so commonplace that many state and local places have begun crackdowns. There is even a link on your state's website to report the suspected violation. I know my MIL tried to use my FIL's once and got caught. This was before her strokes this past January - when she could run in the Olympics as a long distance sprinter. She would usually leave me in the dust when I stayed with them after she got her pacemaker. I remember she had asked the doctor for a placard then but was told no because they wanted her to walk. She did finally get her own after she suffered the strokes as she then had a legitimate handicap since she needs a walker now.

So how do people abuse the system? Common abuses according to my state's website are: people using other people’s placards without them in the car (this is what my MIL did), using the placard of a deceased person, or using altered or counterfeit placards, and using the spot while the handicap person stays in the car.

So why the big hoopaloo? I know I get pissed when I enter a parking lot and there are empty 25 places in the handicap area and I have to park a mile away to even find a spot. I know I need the exercise but I just needed to run in for 1 item. The stores should have quickie spots for those shopping under 5 minutes. Have I ever parked in one though? No. Have others? Sure have - I have seen them.

So who is actually turning these violators in? Citizens! Some states have organized citizen patrols (Florida, Georgia, Maryland. Nevada, Nebraska, Ohio, California, Washington, and Tennessee). They are authorized to issue citations to violators on the spot.

Illinois does have a new law that raised the maximum fines for parking in a handicap accessible parking space. The fines have a minimum and maximum depending on the violation. Here is the IL website for private citizens to report violators:
www.ilsos.gov/ContactFormsWeb/disabilitiescomplaintform.html

So who can get a placard? In IL there are temporary placards and permanent placards (note that even though there are permanent placards they have to be renewed every 2 years). The temporary ones are for 3-6 months. I have a 3 month placard. In order to get one, you need to download the application from your state's website, then take said application to your doctor where he will certify and state why you need one and your full extent of your disability. There is also a part for you to fill out either as the disabled person or the driver of the disabled person. In our state, 3 month placards can be obtained at your local township office and in some cases at the DMV. Any placard over 3 months has to be sent to the State of IL. There are also license plates available but truthfully I always advise others to get the placards. The placards can be moved from car to car. The plates are stuck on that one car.

Please remember that one cannot always tell if one is handicapped. But most handicaps are visible - those with a limited ability to walk, a visual handicap, or a debilitating heart or lung condition. You can spot them a mile away as they walk slow or limp or use an assistive device such as a cane or walker or wheelchair. Many of us are not qualified to make an assertion that the other is handicapped. But we can help thwart the offenders by reporting what we think is abuse. The state will check it out. That is actually how they caught my MIL. Her fine was $500.00 and a few words from her 2 sons and me.

Yes, I reported the convertible with 4 teens, the van with a family of 2 kids, the BMW with 2 adults in their 30's, and the 4 door sedan with 4 older adults but no visible handicaps talking about their latest bicycle trip of 60 miles.