Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Did you know.........



1. that cars that have an anti-theft lock feature built into them, can make a car cease to work when the key breaks? I didn't until it happened to me. I had dropped off MIL and took her groceries inside and helped her put them away. My dear husband had broken his key to the car over a year ago and had superglued it back together. He decided to give it to me and he take mine since he drives the car more than I do. Well, super glue only lasts so long. The key broke. I was still able to get the stub into the ignition and turn the key portion but the car just would not turn on. I called hubs. He didn't have a clue. I called a neighbor next door to MIL who figured out that the key portion needed to be attached to the black part of the key (the part that you point at the car and it opens the car doors and trunk or sounds an alarm - by the way those didn't work after we used the super glue which is another reason I believe that I was relegated to hubs broken key and he got my good key). So we went into MIL's house (who I should mention was saying - "why don't you just stay over") and after an application of a bit of electrical tape wrapped around the key and anchored so the bottom part of the key stayed in connection with the top part, viola the car started! The snow that had started falling an hour before was now accumulating which was going to mean a nasty drive home but no way was I staying another night at MIL's.

2. that old people have this odor about them that makes one smell it for hours and hours and hours later? OMG I cleaned my nostrils with bulb syringe and after 4 rinses, I was still smelling old people. I finally put some carmex under my nose to take the smell away and am washing all my clothes tonight with a disinfectant. Whoever told old people not to bathe but once in a blue moon should be shot. Old Spice or Jean Nate on top of old people smell does not cover the odor. They stink!

3. that just when you are within 1 mile of your house after an hour and half drive in the snow, that something will happen to make said trip longer? No, I didn't get stopped for speeding. No, I wasn't in an accident. But a car (going in the opposite direction) had gotten into an accident and had caught fire which stopped traffic on my side of the expressway. Yep stopped dead. 5 minutes away from my exit and dead stop. I could see the exit. Couldn't get there. Why you ask did my side stop? Who the shit knows. Took me another hour to go the last mile.

4. that spending day in and day out at a hospital with old people causes one to raise one's voice and speak in a slow voice with simple language so you are understood? I didn't realize it until I was telling my husband what happened today and how FIL was doing. I keep lapsing back. I need reprogramming.

5. that I say "you know" a lot when I am tired and am trying to think of what I am trying to say but the words are brain farting on me? I didn't until it was kindly pointed out by a you know......a friend tonight.

6. that one can crochet an entire blanket in 3 days while sitting in a hospital room and start on another? We won't say that the blanket is going to a baby who is now almost 3 months old. I am just a wee behind. The next blanket is going to be plain white but in the soft baby yarn for someone who requested it many moons ago. I didn't forget.

No comments: