Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Weather Affects Health


Finally, proof I am not nuts. Okay.....maybe only partly nuts. I was actually starting to feel a whole lot better and even was considering going to all the offices to work instead of only working one of the offices. But since the temperature went up in the Chicago area, my foot and ankle have been going nuts. At first I thought it was because of my zero tolerance for heat and the fact that my leg is wrapped like a papoose. The cast on my leg and foot feels like I am my own personal fur coat smothering me - it just doesn't smell like mothballs.

Google is interesting, especially when one is bored and has time on their hands. I found hundreds of studies that link temperature, humidity, air pressure, or wind to arthritis, asthma, migraines, and other health problems.

Here are a couple of things I found:
1. Rising temperatures causes heart, vascular and respiratory problems. This is because those high temperatures force your blood vessels to constrict and your blood pressure to increase so your body will release heat through your skin. This will cause all those health problems. But menopausal women can't cool ourselves like this and our body overheats way too easily with the slightest effort of any kind.

2. Just like temperature, humidity plays a huge role in how you feel. The studies offer conflicting evidence but all recognize that high humidity appears to increase aches and fatigue. They think it is because normally your body perspires to cool you down but when the humidity is high, you become trapped in a moist environment where your perspiration can't happen and escape which causes you to use extra energy which leaves you feeling sluggish or tired or unable to concentrate.

All I know is that I have an almost constant headache even taking Naprosyn 2 pills twice a day to reduce the swelling in my ankle, my body is totally exhausted even doing the littlest things, my ability to concentrate and play games is reduced, and my leg and foot are getting claustrophobic. If the doctor does not take this cast off for good on Friday, I might have to use a crutch on him.