Saturday, July 18, 2009

Big Foot


We visited the inlaws yesterday. We started with FIL and timed it so that we didn't spend much time with him to overstimulate him yet got to visit with him a bit. He knew all our names including son's name which is a good thing since he hadn't been able to remember names. This is good as it means the new medication which is a patch is working. This is the patch that we put on his back so he won't forget and pull it off. MIL was still a bit upset his short term memory wasn't good and still around the 2-5 minute stage but that will never come back and for right now, he's holding good and not declining. Not bad for a 91 year old! Plus he remembered that his roommate just had his 100th birthday!

But I had to share his conversation with me.
FIL: "That is one big foot you have there".
Me: "Yes it sure is. I have a cast on to my knee". Then I would show him.
FIL: "What happened to you?"
Me: "I fell in Philadelphia almost 2 years ago and just had another surgery".
FIL: "I knew about this?"
Me: "Yes, this was my 3rd surgery".
FIL: "Well, gosh, I am sorry but I don't remember that. Where was I?"
Me: "That's okay, we all forget things". Then I would change the subject.

Only this conversation would continue the same exact way for every 2 minutes of the next 30 minutes.

One of the last conversations I had changed the story to now read:
FIL: "That is one big foot you have there".
Me: "Yes, it is".
FIL: "What happened?"
Me: "I am going to have a baby and will deliver it out my foot".
FIL: "Okay but there is an easier way you know".
Me: "Well, you know me. I like to be different".

I only hope he didn't dream of women having babies out their feet all night long.