Monday, September 14, 2015

Inspirational Sunday - Grandparent's Day


I just cannot say enough about the deep down joy one experiences having a grandchild. My daughter called me early this morning - by early I am saying 7am! She knows I am not an early riser and especially on Sundays because that is my only day off and I tend to sleep in. She asked if she could bring my granddaughter over for a couple of hours this morning because she wanted to go to her gym to watch a contest and participate and my son-in-law wasn't home yet. Now I rarely get up early for anyone but my granddaughter? Of course!

Taking care of K during the morning is way different than the K we see in the afternoon and evening. The morning K is still a little groggy but goofy and silly. We painted nails with "polishpink toes fingers." Then she wanted to play ball box. Ball box was a way of entertaining her when my house is not very kid friendly. We tend to watch K at her house. Box balls are my interpretation of playing Bozo Buckets - instead of using buckets we use bankers boxes and we use golf balls as our balls. We use a few boxes so she has a huge area to 'toss the ball into the box'. I just love her interpretation of what we play. Her back pack is her ackpac!

Grandchildren are simply pure joy. She makes me remember why it is thrilling to be alive. She allows me to see things through her age level where everything is new and fun instead of through more jaded eyes like mine. Grandchildren are non judgemental - she doesn't care my house is still decorated in grays and pinks. She just wants to be loved and played with. She loves everything and her joy and giggles are contagious.

We live in the moment when we play where she is the person in charge. During the mornings she is slower paced. Afternoons and evenings she is a fireball of energy. It is nice to just enjoy her and not worry about making sure there is food in the pantry or how much laundry there needs to be done. It is pure quality time. Grandparents also get to come and go pretty much as we please although I would love to see her more but work just keeps getting in the way.

My granddaughter is one smart kid and she already knows how to work my cell better than I do. But as a grandparent we are in a unique position in that we can be role models for them and we just started learning prayers - gratitude prayers for right now but knowing she can put her hands together and pray with us. She just started including Papa and Gramma in her prayers with love yous and we are before monkey and horsey.

So Happy Grandparent's Day to all!

No comments: