Saturday, September 12, 2015

Recipe Thursday - Chicken and Dumplings


I was in comfort food mode today and craved this so that is what we had for dinner. I served it with my Cheesy Gluten Free Biscuits (recipe here: http://myviewallmine.blogspot.com/2015/07/recipe-thursday-chopped-salad-with.html

This is super simple to make and usually I make it using frozen chicken I have in the deep freeze. I was running out of fresh chicken broth so decided to boil my chicken today.

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken - around 4-5 pounds
1 medium yellow onion, diced
5 bay leaves
5 tablespoons salted butter
1 and 1/2 tablespoons table salt, adding more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, adding more to taste

Directions:
Put the chicken into a large soup pot. Cover it with about 1/2 inch of water then add the onion, bay leaves, and butter. Cover. I usually set it to high heat bringing it to a boil. I then reduce heat to low, partially cover until it is very gently simmering for 2-3 hours.

You can tell the chicken is done when the meat is falling off the bones. I transfer the chicken to a cutting board and leave the broth and bay leaves in the pot. I pour off half the broth into canning jars then replace the broth with water. When the chicken has cooled a bit, I use a fork and start shredding the chicken, throwing out the bones, skin, and other waste. I save the chicken giblets if they came with for Thanksgiving or when I make giblet dressing for stuffed chickens. I place the shredded chicken in a bowl and cover to keep it warm.

Now I begin the dumplings.

Ingredients:
3 cups all purpose flour (I have been trying to make this gluten free but haven't succeeded yet in finding the proper balance of gluten free flours)
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
2 large eggs, beaten
Garnish: minced fresh parsley

Directions:
Put the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to blend. Add the oil and stir to coat the flour then add the water and beaten eggs. Stir just enough to combine, then knead with clean hands until evenly mixed.

Turn the dough out onto a generously floured board (I use my granite counter top) and divide the dough in half. Take the first portion and roll out into a thin rectangle. Slice the dough lengthwise into 1/2 inch wide strips, then cut each strip cross-wise into pieces 4 inches long. Repeat with remaining dough.

Finishing Directions:
Bring the broth back to a boil. Drop the dumpling strips into the boiling liquid. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until the dumplings are tender (the dumplings will puff up a wee bit and look whitish). Return the shredded chicken to the pot in the last 5-15 minutes of cooking. Taste and add additional salt and pepper as needed. I will also add more flour to thicken the broth up a little to make it less runny.

I usually already have made the cheesy gluten free rolls and just zap them in the microwave for a minute or two to heat them but if you don't have a supply in the freezer like I ran into today, I made them while the chicken is boiling.

Side note: sometimes I add carrots and celery when I boil the chicken. I have also been known to add a gluten free jar of chicken broth if needed to bump up the taste of the broth. I have never ever added chicken bouillon granules or cubes because they are full of chemicals I just do not want in my food. I have tried using my gluten free pasta and while it does work, it is egg based and I just don't like my dumplings to be egg tasting dumplings since that recipe triples the amount of eggs used.

Sorry this was posted late. I didn't realize I hadn't posted it until today.

No comments: