Friday, November 13, 2015

Recipe Thursday - Raw Cranberry Salad










This is a recipe from my father's side of the family. I happen to like both cooked and raw cranberry salad. This week I will give you the raw salad and next week the cooked one.

For those of you who do not have an old fashioned hand grinder, you will have to make adjustments as needed. I have my good old fashioned one that I use for everything. I love the cranking and I love seeing the finished product. Other grinders just do not do this justice.

2 peeled oranges (I save the peels and freeze them to make orange zest)
2 peeled and cored apples (Use apples that are firm with a little tartness - no soft mushy ones)
1 celery piece from a stalk of celery
1 cup of walnuts or pecans
1 quart package of cranberries
2 boxes of cherry Jell-O
3 cups sugar
2 cups hot water

1. In large serving bowl add the water to the Jell-O and stir until dissolved. Set aside.

2. Chop oranges, apples, pecans, cranberries, and celery in a grinder (I grind the ingredients listed in no particular order but never all of one at once - I mix them up)

3. Add sugar to the chopped mixture and stir (I taste test adding a cup of sugar at a time until the desired tartness/sweetness is just right (remember the Jell-O will add some sweetness)

4. Add the chopped mixture to the Jell-O and stir.

5. Refrigerate.


I store this in the frig for up to a week. I will also use it in my post Thanksgiving sandwich.


No comments: