Sunday, January 13, 2008

Bridal Shower Planning


Daughter and I are in the depths of getting her bridal shower planned.

Games: She picked out a real cute game called "Write the Bridal Vows". We found it on theknot*com. The idea: Help the bride and groom write their vows. Here is how it is played:
Tell the group that they’re going to help the bride write the couple’s vows, but each person gets to write only one sentence. Start circulating 2 clipboards, one with the header “I [Bride’s name] take you [Groom’s name] and promise to” and the other with the reverse. Give each clipboard to one guest and instruct her to write a vow phrase under the header: I promise to ... not roll my eyes when you yell at sports on TV. The first guest must now fold down the first line so that it’s hidden underneath and pass to the second player to add her sentiment. After both his and her versions have made it through the group, read the vows aloud for all to hear.


The other game was a riot too. Every 5th person to walk into the shower is handed a gift and told not to open it. Instructions are given once the shower starts that everytime the holder of the gift says a certain word (in our case we are using the bride's name and groom's name), they have to give up their present and the one who caught them gets it. At the end of the bridal gift opening, whoever is left with a present gets it.

We are also planning on door prizes - one per table. The party favors we think will be all pink related - pink emery boards and pink hand and body lotion.

So between daughter and I we have done this all. We should be getting the invitation pieces tomorrow so we can put the invites together. We have settled on the menu at our favorite Italian Cucina, ordered the flowers, and are planning on making the table decorations the last weekend of Jan when hubs will be in CA for a seminar. Now it is just the fine points.

I am so glad I only have one daughter. I keep repeating to myself: some day I will look back on this as a bonding Kodak moment....I am betting it might be a while for that to happen.