Friday, September 5, 2008

Bad Mommy?

What makes a bad mommy? According to my husband, moi!

The story:

It all started once upon a time....okok....no really - but it did start way back when son (youngest) first went to school.

Hubs reaction: "Awwwww....our baby is starting school." The flippen backpack was checked zillions of times by not only son but hubs too. Pictures were taken.
My reaction: "Yeah, is the bus here yet? When does my freedom start? OMG I can actually grocery shop without children and 10 zillion things being either asked for or found in my cart upon checkout."


So fast forward to son going away to college:

Hubs: Makes sure son has the essentials any male needs: food, microwave, condoms. Got weepy on the way home from dropping him off. Expected weekly phone calls from son but had to call him to check on him nightly and would get pissed if he didn't answer.
My reaction: Made sure son knew how to do his own laundry and had school essentials and clean underwear. Expected to call him once a week and actually talk to him once a month. Expected to see him monthly with dirty laundry in hand. Actually saw him 2 times a semester and both times we went down to visit him. Expected to have an empty house and more time with hubs. What I Got: daughter back home.

So fast forward to yesterday. Son is now 25. He was due to start computer classes leading to his A+ and MCSE certifications for the next 2 weeks. He had been enrolled for a month or so. Yesterday he got a phone call and found out that instead of him starting the class Saturday around here, there were only 2 people who had signed up and therefore he was given the option of either waiting for the next class or go to Atlanta (compliments of them) for the 2 weeks. Son chose to go to Atlanta.

Hubs reaction: A mother hen.
Me: Thinking....OMG we have an empty house now. There are no kids. No one to take care of. But no one to do the dishes or clean the toilets either but hey, it's only for 2 weeks - we can just eat out and the toilets will last.

So I calmly told son where the suitcases were and he could choose the size he wanted but to remember he could always wash clothes there and reminded him of the poundage issue with airlines now. I reminded him to not take any liquids through security so his contact solution had to go in the suitcase. Then since he needed to take a laptop with him and we only have 2 in our household, I got my laptop ready by taking off all the incriminating and personal stuff you know a son wouldn't want to find on his mother's computer.
Hubs: 'Helped' him pack by telling him things to take and showed him how to pack the suitcase. He made sure he had name tags on the suitcases and was going through warning signs of how to stay in a hotel by yourself, etc.
Son's reaction: He kept patting father on the head and saying, "Yes, Dad, I will be ok. I am 25."

This morning's scenario:
Hubs: Wakes me up at the butt crack of dawn on the ONLY day I have to sleep in, yelling "Aren't you getting up to take son to the airport?"
Me: "Nope. That's why taxis were invented. They do things like that."
Hubs: "Well, then I guess I will just have to do it on my way into the hospital for the 3 surgeries I have to do today. *** get ready we have to leave in 30 minutes."
Me: "Good" Then promptly rolled over to go back to sleep.
Son: "WTF? WHY?

Now what the flip was I thinking? Two men up in the house. Ya think they would allow me to sleep? Maybe on some other planet.

Hubs: Walked out the door giving him last minute instructions on how to register at the hotel, how to get a cab from the airport to the hotel, how to tip, how to use the kiosk to check in, running through lists making sure son took this or that...etc. I can hear the whole car ride conversation.
Me: Got upm made coffee because obviously no one was going to allow me to sleep. As son left, I said: "Bye and study! Call me when you get there."

3 hours later.
Hubs calls and asks: "Have you heard anything?"
Me: working since I couldn't go back to sleep, ask "Huh? Heard from who about what?"
Hubs in a definite exasperated sigh: "From son."
Me: "Why should I? His flight (if on time and that is iffy at Ohare) should be just now taking off."
Hubs: "Are you sure he's on the flight? Better call him."
Me: "Number 1: He must be on it and didn't miss it or I am sure I would have gotten a phone call by now. Number 2: you should be scrubbing for your 2nd case. Now you go take care of what you are supposed to be doing and stop worrying."

Here is what I imagine the scenario tonight on our first evening alone in the house sans kids:
Me: Totally fine and thinking if I am jumping hubs tonight or tomorrow after work or Sunday and thinking how clean the house is going to stay and how I lost my dishwasher and toilet scrubber.
Hubs: "Has he called yet? Is he there yet? What did he have for dinner? Did he get checked in ok? Is Fay or Ike going to bother him? Is he going to remember to lock the doors to his room?"

Total role reversal. Some would say bad mommy. I say......wahooooooooo - the last one has flown the coop!