Sunday, October 25, 2009

Spiritual Sunday - Using New Eyes


The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
~Marcel Proust

I ran across this quote some time ago, loved it, and saved it in my favorites file (which happens to be pretty huge now). I was scanning that file yesterday for something spiritual to say today and for some reason I kept coming back to this quote.

Does that ever happen to you? It does to me all the time. If I am aware enough, I stop and find out why my brain keeps going back and why it means something to me. I find things like this 'speak' to me when I need them the most.

After re-reading the quote a few times, I couldn't figure out why it meant so much. Then I went to bed. We have had the granddoggies this weekend. Since Trouble (our new male kitten) is still considered snack food to the granddoggies, we have kept them separate. However, yesterday I allowed Trouble full access to our bedroom.

Seeing the bedroom through my eyes is one thing. Seeing the bedroom via Trouble's eyes is another. I had to search for my rosary. Every Kleenex (not used) was out of its box and shredded. The garbage was knocked over. Trouble obviously also learned how to jump high enough to reach the bathroom counters and everything was on the floor. My nice clean bedroom went from clean to chaos in a mere 2 hours.

So to my eyes, there was no hesitation in allowing Trouble access. To Trouble's eyes, it was a whole new playground. As I was cleaning up the mess last night, I looked around at my bedroom with different eyes - eyes from a mischievous kitten but more important, eyes from possible grandchildren. It has been a long long time since I have needed to child proof or kitten proof my house. I have at least a year or two to child proof my house for any grandchildren to come (no - no news yet).

But Trouble - he gets locked up now - in his cage because even the bathroom isn't kitten proofed.

Optical illusions allow us to see things we might not see right away. What do you see in the picture above? A sax player or a young woman?

No comments: